Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avast Backfire?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 arkay

arkay

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 28 July 2008 - 08:10 AM

I'd been using avast for a while, and it seemed pretty good, so I recommended it to a friend.

She tried it, downloaded it and installed it. After doing so, the ads that were bugging her were still there, her desktop wallpaper had been replaced by a virus warning and she couldn't change it, and there were problems opening some programs. She couldn't access some of them via shortcut or Start Menu, and others wouldn't work at all.

It might not have been avast, and probably wasn't, but I'd just like to make sure about that

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,576 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 28 July 2008 - 08:26 AM

An anti-virus program is not enough to remove this infection. No single product is 100% foolproof and can detect and remove all threats at any given time. The security community is in a constant state of change as new infections appear. Each vendor has its own definition of what constitutes malware and scanning your computer using different criteria will yield different results. The fact that each program has its own definition files means that some malware may be picked up by one that could be missed by another. Thus, a multi-layered defense using several anti-spyware products (including an effective firewall) to supplement your anti-virus combined with common sense and safe surfing habits provides the most complete protection.

Have your friend print out and follow the instructions for using Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (scroll down).
  • If she encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, she may be asked to reboot the computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Reagardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

If that does not resolve the problem then tell her to start a new topic in the Am I infected? What do I do? forum. Tell her to also post the MBAM log.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users