Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor Problems.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ahayes04

Ahayes04

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 15 April 2005 - 10:13 PM

Ok so i have this computer that i am fixing up, i know that it is windows 98 and is a Celeron 300 mhz processor. Thats all i know, it has 64mb ram but only 32 is showing up, and i put in the hard drive correctly, so i went to turn it on to reinstall windows and i plug in the monitor and everything and i can hear it starting up correctly, it sounds just like my other comp when it starts up but it doesnt show anything on the monitor, it is plugged in but its just a black screen. I thought it was the monitor so i tried a diff one and i got the same reaction. So ive only tried 2 monitors and they both do not work. I was wondering how i can fix this? I have onboard graphics or atleast i think it is because the part where u plug in the monitor has a cord that goes from that plugin and it attaches to the motherboard. and close by that is a thing that says AGP, and i went to see if it was removable and it is not, and i dont see anything that says PCI on it. So i jsut need to know how i can fix my problems with monitors. I really need this 2nd cpu and do not have much money.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2005 - 11:25 PM

Dear Ahayes,

How do you know only 32mb of ram is working...BIOS?

I would check the ram with Windows mem check, its free from Windows.

Download and follow instructions. Its easy!

Also, you must look up the mother board to check if it has onboard video. Or take your video card out of one of your other computer install it and see if it starts.

Let us know,

Junkdk :thumbsup:
Your Hardware Guide.

#3 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 15 April 2005 - 11:27 PM

That's a tricky one. Do you know anything about the history of this computer? Like, was it working before you got it? Chances are, the onboard video is disabled and there used to be an AGP card in the AGP slot. And chances are just as good that the onboard video died and that's why it was switched.

The first thing I would do is find some info on the motherboard. There's usually something on the board itself that identifies. Use a flashlight and a magnifying glass if you have to. See if you can find a brand name and some number that identifies the board.

Then, google that number and name and see if you can find a motherboard manual that you can download in Adobe Acrobat - and you'll need the free program to do that if you don't already have it.

Then, find out if you can reset the BIOS on the board to default using a jumper. If you can, and it works, then your onboard video is OK. If you try that and it doesn't work, then your onboard video may be shot. Next step would be to find a relatively inexpensive video card either for PCI or AGP and install it, then try booting into the BIOS and disable the onboard video again and install the drivers for the new card.

And if none of that works, you may have some bad hardware. Also, there may be settings on the motherboard to enable/disable video. You can't tell without some kind of reference.

#4 Ahayes04

Ahayes04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2005 - 02:18 AM

I know about the ram because my friend told me that when he had it, thats how it was and he never fixed it. It is 12am right now so i shall look up my MOBO in the morn. Also i do not know how long its been since my friend used this comp, i think it was just laying around for a year or 2 or maybe even longer... But he siad last time he used it he did not have that prob. But thanks for the info and i will try it all in the morning and post back

#5 Ahayes04

Ahayes04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2005 - 06:23 PM

I think this is my MOBO but im not sure this is what it says, in the order it says it

ITE
IT8671F-A
9842-DYS
E8Y340
AmMega 87-96

#6 Ahayes04

Ahayes04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2005 - 06:59 PM

meh i cant find the jumper
can someone help me find it. I think this is the link to my MOBO im almost sure cuz it supporsts Celeron 300 and it has the right numbers http://www.soyo.com.tw/dl/manuals/686/m6zep10.PDF

#7 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 16 April 2005 - 09:33 PM

There is no onboard graphics on the mobo you linked to, so it can't be the right one.

I think the IT8671F-A is your I/O controller chip.

Motherboard data is not printed on a chip, it is (somewhere) on the surface of the flat mobo base board itself. Check all the white lettering. If you cannot find it you can identify the mobo by entering details in a search engine like mobot.
Some info here:
http://www.duxcw.com/digest/Fromshop/mb/det.htm

Here's the form to fill in at mobot, just fill in as many of the spaces as you are sure of and it will narrow down to a motherboard type.
http://www.motherboards.org/mobot/

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#8 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 16 April 2005 - 11:45 PM

Also this could be useful:

http://www.motherboards.org/tools/moboidtools.html

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users