Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Shuts Itself Down Regularly

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Bramish

Bramish

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 28 July 2008 - 05:44 AM

Hi all,

Not sure if I'm posting this in the right place but I'll give it a go:

My computer, a couple of years old, has started shutting itself down unexpectedly every 20 minutes or so which is obviously incredibly frustrating. The power lights all remain on, but it's essentially shut down, black screen, no sound, and can't be restarted without turning it off and on at the mains.

I figured it my be something to do with overheating, since the fan's been very noisy recently and I thought it might have been broken, but I've had a look and it now seems to be ok.

I can't run a virus scan since the comp shuts down before it completes.

Any advice please?

Thanks,

Stuart

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dr_Manhattan

Dr_Manhattan

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 28 July 2008 - 08:59 AM

Assume this is a desktop computer you are working with and not a laptop computer, I recommend starting with replacing the power supply and see if that helps out. How much power is your computer running?

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 29 July 2008 - 04:35 PM

Well...just because a visual look says that the fans are OK...it would be smarter to check temperatures after one of these abrupt shutdowns.

You can boot into the BIOS and check your CPU temperature there (normally). Just remember that it's Celsius, not Fahrenheit (if you do any conversions).

How many fans are installed in your system?

Is this a desktop or a laptop?

Louis

#4 Bramish

Bramish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 31 July 2008 - 05:32 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. It appears to be solved now... I'd recently installed AVG and it had only been doing it since then, so I played around a little and discovered that it was only shutting down during a virus scan with that. Weird.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 31 July 2008 - 10:07 AM

Feedback appreciated, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users