Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lenovo Laptop Extremely Slow. Ten Minutes To Boot.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 raybbr

raybbr

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 28 July 2008 - 05:44 AM

I have a Lenovo laptop with XP Pro Svc pack 2 that my wife and son use for surfing mostly. All of a sudden it's gotten extremely slow.

I used the Rescue and Recovery system to check the hardware, memory, etc. Tests come back ok.

I believe it's full of malware even though I've had AVG (7.5 I believe) on it from the start and have had the auto downloads on.

Is there a program I can load on a CD and run to detect and remove the malware and viruses?

It takes ten minutes to simply load XP and every program I click on takes about ten minutes to get up.

I tried it in safe mode and it's still very slow. Firefox safe mode doesn't work because I am not connected (wireless) while in safe mode.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ray

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dr_Manhattan

Dr_Manhattan

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 28 July 2008 - 08:57 AM

Here is what I recommend.

1.) Download the spybot anti-spyware software from majorgeeks.com if you don't have it installed on it already and run the spyware program to detect if there is any spyware on your computer.

Did you install any softwares recently. I recommend pressing ctrl alt delete and checking the task manager and see if there is any program taking up alot of resources.

2.) If though the hardware test came out ok, go to the manufacturer's website of your hard-drive and download their diagnostics utility and put the program onto a CD. Boot the computer to the program but first, make sure you go into the bios and put the optical drive as a first boot device. Then assume you boot the computer to the diagnostics utility, follow the instructions on the screen, and test your HD for any errors.

3.) Have you perform a disk defrag recently? If not, I recommend doing that.

4.) Another thing you can do is to perform a windows repair and see if this solves your issues. I know this came in handy for me in the past. You will need your windows XP CD and just like the HD diagnostics utility, you will need to boot the computer to the CD. Then on the main menu, simply click enter like you are going to install windows and press F8 to agree to the license agreement. Then once the computer detects your current windows XP operating system, simply click on "R" for repair.

#3 raybbr

raybbr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2008 - 05:46 PM

Here is what I recommend.

1.) Download the spybot anti-spyware software from majorgeeks.com if you don't have it installed on it already and run the spyware program to detect if there is any spyware on your computer.

Did you install any softwares recently. I recommend pressing ctrl alt delete and checking the task manager and see if there is any program taking up alot of resources.

2.) If though the hardware test came out ok, go to the manufacturer's website of your hard-drive and download their diagnostics utility and put the program onto a CD. Boot the computer to the program but first, make sure you go into the bios and put the optical drive as a first boot device. Then assume you boot the computer to the diagnostics utility, follow the instructions on the screen, and test your HD for any errors.

3.) Have you perform a disk defrag recently? If not, I recommend doing that.

4.) Another thing you can do is to perform a windows repair and see if this solves your issues. I know this came in handy for me in the past. You will need your windows XP CD and just like the HD diagnostics utility, you will need to boot the computer to the CD. Then on the main menu, simply click enter like you are going to install windows and press F8 to agree to the license agreement. Then once the computer detects your current windows XP operating system, simply click on "R" for repair.

It didn't come with an XP disk. Lenovo would not send me one.

I can't load anything on it. It would take hours.

There must be a malware program I can run from a cd.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2008 - 06:30 PM

Lenovo does provide recovery disks for their systems. Do you have those? What do the disks say on their faces (we're looking for a reference to operating system on them)?

Here's a portable app for virus scanning. Read the directions carefully as it isn't the easiest program to use: http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/clamwin_portable

Edited by usasma, 28 July 2008 - 07:27 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 raybbr

raybbr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2008 - 06:44 PM

Lenovo does provide recovery disks for their systems. Do you have those? What do the disks say on their faces (we're looking for a reference to operating system on them)?

Here's a portable app for virus scanning. Read the directions carefully as it isn't the easiest program to use: http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/clamwin_portable

Lenovo doesn't provide them. You have to make them which I did. I have run the recovery and things are looking up. I have downloaded and am running Spybot Search and Destroy.

I have also downloaded and will run their Start analyzer.

I am sure my son downloaded something from a game site that caused all of this.

I had a version of AVG on it. It has always been "on". It tried to uninstall it and during the process something got corrupted. Now I can't uninstall it fully and can't run it because of the corruption. I am probably going to download the 8.0 version and run that.

Thanks.

Ray

#6 madman6510

madman6510

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 28 July 2008 - 11:30 PM

Lenovo doesn't provide them. You have to make them which I did.

I know this is :thumbsup:, but, as far as I know, if you bought your laptop in the US, legally the manufacturer has to provide a Windows install disk for no or minimal charge if you request it. Might want to let Lenovo know that next time you ask them.

Either that, or I completely misinterpreted that law when someone told it to me, but I think that's right.

Anyways, carry on.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2008 - 08:04 AM

I know this is :thumbsup:, but, as far as I know, if you bought your laptop in the US, legally the manufacturer has to provide a Windows install disk for no or minimal charge if you request it. Might want to let Lenovo know that next time you ask them.

Either that, or I completely misinterpreted that law when someone told it to me, but I think that's right.

Anyways, carry on.

Actually, the system builder has to provide a means for recovery of the OS - that's why there's so many different ways to restore a system. For example, at my wife's office, the way to do this is to contact the system builder and have them come out and restore it.

When I get some free time, I'm going to research the Lenovo issue. This is because 1) I received disks with my Lenovo and 2) I wonder if there's an issue with the age of the system. At work, I've found that HP/Compaq won't provide restore disks for some older systems.

What we do at work for these situations is we use a generic XP disk of the proper type, and then manually go out and locate all the drivers.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 raybbr

raybbr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2008 - 05:56 AM

Anyways, carry on.

Actually, the system builder has to provide a means for recovery of the OS - that's why there's so many different ways to restore a system. For example, at my wife's office, the way to do this is to contact the system builder and have them come out and restore it.

When I get some free time, I'm going to research the Lenovo issue. This is because 1) I received disks with my Lenovo and 2) I wonder if there's an issue with the age of the system. At work, I've found that HP/Compaq won't provide restore disks for some older systems.

What we do at work for these situations is we use a generic XP disk of the proper type, and then manually go out and locate all the drivers.

The laptop is out of warranty. Anyway, I used the restore disks and it's better now. I still think Lenovo should have provided a system disk. Did you find anything more out about this?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users