Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Comp Wont Boot

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bo.

bo.

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 28 July 2008 - 03:46 AM

Hi,

My emachines t6412 has problem and does not boot up anymore.

Here is what happened:
1) I was looking at a Web site that I go to with 3 other PCs and I know that's a safe site.
2) PC suddenly reboots. It was like if the power went out for a moment, but it didn't because other PCs were still on.
3) Now the PC does not boot.

What happens when I turn on the PC:
1) First screen is the vedeo card info.
2) Next screen is a big "e" (emachines logo) with F2=Bios and F10=Boot menu at the bottom right.
3) It's stuck at "e" screen and does not go to the next screen.
4) Neither F2 nor F10 works even if I keep pressing those many time right after I turn on the PC.

I removed the hard drive and plugged it into my other and scanned it got no viruses. I removed the ram stick and stuck in another that i know works and still got the same problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dr_Manhattan

Dr_Manhattan

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 28 July 2008 - 09:20 AM

What operating system are you using? Vista? XP?

Assuming you are using windows xp, I recommend performing a checkdisk repair on the computer. Boot the computer to your windows xp CD and on the main menu, click on "R" to go to the recovery console. Then press the number according to your C: drive which is usually the number "1". Then the computer will ask you for an admin password but if you don't have one simply press enter to skip the process.

Afterwards on C:\> type in "chkdsk /r" to perform the checkdisk repair. This should take about one hour or a bit more to finish. Then after this process is finish, simply type in "fixmbr" to fix the master boot record. Fixing the master boot record should only take a few seconds and then afterwards, reboot the computer and start into windows normally.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,415 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2008 - 04:40 PM

My limited experience with eMachines...is that they tend to go low on the PS...might be worth checking out.

Simply done...switch with known good system for a few seconds.

Louis

#4 bo.

bo.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2008 - 10:32 PM

[quote name='hamluis' date='Jul 29 2008, 04:40 PM' post='896270']
My limited experience with eMachines...is that they tend to go low on the PS...might be worth checking out.

Simply done...switch with known good system for a few seconds.

Louis
[Whats PS? switch what?

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,372 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 30 July 2008 - 04:44 AM

What Luis was referring to the Power Supply Unit (PSU).

Can you boot into Safe Mode? If you can try doing a System Restore.

Start> All Programs> Accessories> System Tools> System restore.

When this opens make sure that "Restore my computer to an earlier time" is chosen, and click on Next>.

The dates appearing in bold are the dates that you can restore to, click on the date that you want and then click Next> to start the System Restore. This may take a long time to complete, and when it is done it will restart your computer. When the computer restarts and you have logged on as the administrator a Restoration Complete page will appear, click on OK to complete the process.

If you can't boot into Safe Mode, try this second method.

Start the computer and then press the F8 key when Windows begins to start. The Windows Advanced Options menu appears.

Use the ARROW keys to select Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked), and then press ENTER.

If a boot menu appears, use the ARROW keys to select Microsoft Windows XP, and then press ENTER. Windows XP restores the computer to the most recent restore point.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/h...re/restore.mspx

I'm inclined to agree with Dr_Manhattan's suggestion, if what I have suggested doesn't work, try their suggestion.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 bo.

bo.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2008 - 05:48 PM

Well i couldnt boot in safe mode. A buisness in my town does computer repair i took it to him and the guy couldnt figure it out he wasnt any help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users