Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Restore Problems-mystified

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 crzyallday0514

crzyallday0514

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 28 July 2008 - 02:11 AM

:thumbsup: That's exactly how I feel right now. Plus :flowers: ! I either don't know anything about System Restore or I've got a real problem. I tried to do a restore and said couldn't do it because "No changes have been made to your system." What does that mean? I then tried again a few days before the last restore point I picked and it showed that it was restoring my files. I went away for a bit and when came back I got the same message Recovery Incomplete "No changes blah blah." Not only do I not know what is going on but had tried last week to do a restore and checked restore points for 2 mos. and got same msg. Can somebody please explain? Have done virus scans, spyware scans and no problems.

"Music expresses that which cannot be said
and on which it is impossible to be silent."
-Victor Hugo

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 28 July 2008 - 02:16 AM

Why do you want to do a system restore?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 crzyallday0514

crzyallday0514
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2008 - 07:07 PM

Well, started with my printer (Dell AIO Photo 924) getting an update from Windows Update--so I tried to download & install and it wouldn't install. Then I uninstalled the printer and reinstalled it at which point the box which lets you check for b/w was completely gone. Went to Dell and found out that it's never advisable to get any hardware update from Windows--should always get it from the manufacturer. Was told to try doing a System Restore and that's when I ran into those problems. But after struggling a while, went into the Help file and found a reference that antivirus software could interfere. So went into McAfee and shut it down and lo and behold, was able to do a restore. Printer is back home. Now, I have 29 files that System Restore renamed. So I'm stuck yet again. To me, it makes sense one doesn't want a duplicate of 29 files so I must have to delete them. 26 files have (2) after the filename and 4 files have (3) and 1 file has (4). Since I couldn't figure out how to print the list out I tediously copied down all the path names. But I don't want to be deleting anything until I find out for sure what I'm supposed to do. Thank you for answering so promptly. I spent the morning working on the Restore and I'm finally back here. Sorry this was so verbose.

-Victor Hugo

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2008 - 07:12 PM

Post back what these files are.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 crzyallday0514

crzyallday0514
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2008 - 02:48 AM

Here goes.

dllcclmpm(2).dll
C:\WINDOWS\System32 (same for dll's)
dllccjswr(2).dll
dllccutil(2).dll
dllcccfg(2).dll
dllcccfg(3).dll
dllccprox(3).dll
dllccpplc(2).dll
dllcccomc(2).dll
dllcccfg(4).dll
dllcclmpm(3).dll
dllccPP5C(3).DLL C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\protprocs\w32x86
dllccPP5C(2).DLL C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\protprocs\w32x86

new(2) C:\Documents and Settings\Cheryl T.Brown\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\
WINDOWS Live Mail\Backup

Cache(2) C:\Documents and Settings\Cheryl T. Brown\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\
ygtif5gj.default

content(2); chrome(2); components(2); META-INF92); piclens@cooliris.com(2); components(2); preferences(2); Linux(2); defaults(2); components(2); Darwin(2); chrome(2); components(2); platform(2); (463F6CA5-EE3C-4be1-B7E6-7FEE11953374)

Wrote all this out longhand after the Restore and realizing that part of the location was the same just put " " and now I've discovered I must have left something out. All the rest from Cache on is Mozilla. Went into Doc&Set/Cheryl T. Brown\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\extensions and that's where I messed up somehow because I can't seem to find it. But it's long past my bedtime :thumbsup: so I'll look tomorrow & make sense out of it.

-Victor Hugo

#6 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 29 July 2008 - 01:17 PM

Printer is back home. Now, I have 29 files that System Restore renamed. So I'm stuck yet again. To me, it makes sense one doesn't want a duplicate of 29 files so I must have to delete them. 26 files have (2) after the filename and 4 files have (3) and 1 file has (4). Since I couldn't figure out how to print the list out I tediously copied down all the path names. But I don't want to be deleting anything until I find out for sure what I'm supposed to do. Thank you for answering so promptly. I spent the morning working on the Restore and I'm finally back here. Sorry this was so verbose.

So, your printer is okay now and everything else is working ok?....except you've got a bunch of duplicate files. Am I right?

If so, and all is well except for the duplicate files, I think you can delete them. All the ones renamed with "(#)". I've had this happen from time to time. I can't remember if System Restore failed at the time (no changes made); or for whatever reason it renamed some files, more than likely because of changes I'd made on my system before going back to a particular point.

Create a folder in My Documents and copy them to that folder if you're nervous about deleting them. When you delete them, they'll go into the Recycle Bin anyway, so they can be easily restored if you think you should put one or more back. But since you'll have a backup in that folder you created, then you won't have to worry about emptying your recycle bin too soon. After several days and everything is running okay, then you can delete that folder.

I hate it when System Restore renames files! I've always deleted them and had no ill effects from it.

Also, if your system is running fine now, I'd recommend that you turn off System Restore to delete all those points now, because they will contain those renamed files and probably keep renaming them 3,4, 5 etc, everytime you use restore again.
Then when you turn System Restore back on, it will automatically create a new Restore Point, but without any renamed files because you have already deleted them.

I'd also recommend getting rid of McAfee. You sure don't need an antivirus program that's going to be so intrusive that you can't use System Restore.

#7 crzyallday0514

crzyallday0514
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2008 - 04:43 PM

:thumbsup: Thanks a lot. I thought I was so careful writing those darn files down. Can I just search for all 2,3,4's to find all the files that are duplicates? Great suggestion about making a new folder. I seriously doubt I would have thought of that. I think I've learned more the week or so of being on this site than I've learned in 4 years. I had McAfee two years ago before I got this new computer and it never did that. All I can think of is there being more careful or Windows changed something that causes the problem. I was going to go to the area where anti-virus, spyware, etc. and see what free programs they have. One thing I really like about McAfee is they get rid of threats on their own and I never even know it. I also like the McAfee SiteAdvisor. That sure has helped me. I don't do a whole lot of surfing but when I don't have a project or problems with the computer then I like to hit sites that have interests like mine. Before I didn't know if there was any kind of problem, now if it's got a green check mark they've tested it. That leads me to a question I was going to ask, how many anti-virus programs should one have to be extra safe. I'm not particularly paranoid but reading this site and the computer magazine I get sure opened my eyes to how sneaky those creeps are. I appreciate the help you can give. Much thanks.

-Victor Hugo

#8 crzyallday0514

crzyallday0514
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2008 - 04:51 PM

Budapest, can I get a response from you about MommaBear's suggestion? How could I not take the suggestion from that name and she looks like a force to be reckoned with!! Also could you tell me how I can get my avatar to animate. It's supposed to but when I copied it over here that dufus just sits there. I know this is probably out of your scope but to me these are the real important life questions.

-Victor Hugo

#9 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2008 - 05:03 PM

I like mommabear's suggestion. Copy all these files into a temporary directory and leave them there for a couple of weeks. If you do not experience any problems in this time delete them.

I'm not too sure about the Avatar, but I do know that Avatar's are limited to 83 pixel x 83 pixels in size, anything larger and the forum software reduces it which causes loss of animation.

—George Bernard Shaw

#10 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 29 July 2008 - 06:03 PM

:thumbsup: Thanks a lot. I thought I was so careful writing those darn files down. Can I just search for all 2,3,4's to find all the files that are duplicates? Great suggestion about making a new folder. I seriously doubt I would have thought of that. I think I've learned more the week or so of being on this site than I've learned in 4 years. I had McAfee two years ago before I got this new computer and it never did that. All I can think of is there being more careful or Windows changed something that causes the problem. I was going to go to the area where anti-virus, spyware, etc. and see what free programs they have. One thing I really like about McAfee is they get rid of threats on their own and I never even know it. I also like the McAfee SiteAdvisor. That sure has helped me. I don't do a whole lot of surfing but when I don't have a project or problems with the computer then I like to hit sites that have interests like mine. Before I didn't know if there was any kind of problem, now if it's got a green check mark they've tested it. That leads me to a question I was going to ask, how many anti-virus programs should one have to be extra safe. I'm not particularly paranoid but reading this site and the computer magazine I get sure opened my eyes to how sneaky those creeps are. I appreciate the help you can give. Much thanks.

Sure. If you use Search, it'll be even easier.

Open Search and in the box "Search for files or folders named:" type in "*.dll" (without the quotes)

Then go to "Look in:" and click the drop down arrow. Select Browse, then find the system32 folder in C:\Windows, and select it. Click the Search Now button.

Make sure View is set on "Details". You'll then see a nice alphabetized list of all the .dll files and spotting the renamed ones with (#) will be a lot easier.

For the other files you mentioned in Firefox, etc, you will probably just have to look in all the folders for them.

You should never have more than one antivirus program running live. They can conflict with each other. Some people do install a second antivirus, but they don't let it run at Windows startup. They'll use it for a second manual scan. But you have to remember to disable the one you use live all the time to use another one manually. You'll probably be just fine with one good antivirus program installed. Then you can investigate other malware-spyware programs like Spybot, Adaware, etc for some extra protection.

Are you using a Firewall too? XP's firewall will do fine if that's all you have now, but once you get more familiar with computer security, you'll find better.

As far as McAfee (or any antivirus) taking care of threats in the background so you never know it, that could have its disadvantages. False positives are common, especially if an antivirus program is too aggressive, but they do happen. It might be block something you actually want or is needed for a software program to function correctly. For example, a script you want to run or a registry hack you got from a safe source, only because you don't know how to write it yourself.
Even some software programs, completely legitimate, can give false positives. Once the antivirus vendor gets enough complaints about it they'll correct the problem, but in the meantime.... Personally, I'd want to know if something was trying to attack my computer. Otherwise, how would you learn not to do that again? lol!

Edit: About being paranoid. A little caution and common sense is all you need. I was the same way when I got my first computer. I think I scanned for cookies and spyware 4-5 times a day! lol! That was only about 10 years ago...I was in my 50's then. I was a later starter to computers. I'm self taught, and everything I've learned was through forums like this and Google. Did I screw up sometimes and have to reinstall Windows? Yeah. But I've never gotten a virus infection. Had my homepage hijacked once, way back when. So, try to relax. The computer is just a machine, you know.

Edited by mommabear, 29 July 2008 - 06:13 PM.

#11 crzyallday0514

crzyallday0514
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2008 - 01:28 AM

Thanks Mommabear and Budapest for all your help. I feel much more comfortable now. I'm only using XP's firewall but want to use another one after what I've been reading. I completely agree with your take on the disadvantage of McAfee. Never thought about something I might need that they would hide from me although I think a few times they have given me a name and ask if I want to allow or disallow so it may be only virus' they take care of in the background. But you've got me thinking and I'm gonna call and get answers to these questions. I too was a late starter for the PC and I wouldn't have it now if my husband's son hadn't told him he had to have a computer. What's really funny is that my husband hasn't and doesn't touch the darn thing. Now I've had it for 5 or 6 years and don't know if I could do without it. It's one of those love/hate deals. Thank goodness I don't have a laptop and can actually go on vacation and forget about it. LOL Again, thanks you two.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users