Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Infected With Us Postal Service E-mail Viruses

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Arbypb

Arbypb

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 27 July 2008 - 09:20 PM

Greetings, My wife opened an e-mail from the postal service that downloaded several viruses. It disabled my Norton anti-virus and spybot. Ifinally identified some of the viruses and trojens and quarentined them manually. Norton still gave me a high alert with some files in my Temp directory. I finally got the NOrton and spybot to work again and used a good program called combofix which seemed to identify and remove all my problems. I was even able to use regedit and msconfig that were previously not working.

I made a Combofix log and would like someone to look at it and make any additional suggestions. Please let me know if I can paste the log.

Thanks

Edited by Orange Blossom, 27 July 2008 - 10:40 PM.
Move to more appropriate forum. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2008 - 05:39 AM

Combofix is an advanced tool that requires upper level training to analyze the logs and custom design fixes, I understand your desire to clean the infection yourself.

I would advise not to post the combofix log as that would just

Any posts containing CF Logs will be ignored

require that we can't help you

Would you run a scan with MBAM?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/156573/virutmonde-removal/
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 Arbypb

Arbypb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2008 - 08:24 PM

Thanks, here is the Mban scan..... Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.24
Database version: 1030
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

9:21:13 PM 8/6/2008
mbam-log-8-6-2008 (21-21-13).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 46167
Time elapsed: 22 minute(s), 58 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 3
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 3
Files Infected: 1

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{04a38f6b-006f-4247-ba4c-02a139d5531c} (Adware.Minibug) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Typelib\{3c2d2a1e-031f-4397-9614-87c932a848e0} (Adware.Minibug) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\WakeNet (Trojan.Adware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:
C:\Program Files\2 find mp3 (Adware.180Solutions) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\2 find mp3\Data (Adware.180Solutions) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\2 find mp3\Partner (Adware.180Solutions) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Files Infected:
C:\Program Files\2 find mp3\Data\SearchKeys.txt (Adware.180Solutions) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Edited by Arbypb, 06 August 2008 - 08:25 PM.

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2008 - 09:44 PM

It looks like you don't leave much for MBAM to clean, that's good. How's your computer running?

Regedit and msconfig were tools I used long ago for fighting malware, it's really a bad approach as an infection is too complicated to even guess what's interconnected. I have sorted my system32 files by date and found remnants that way but
they were inactive since MBAM or another cleaner had killed the active infection.

I have better results using a combination of several programs, starting with the safer ones and moving to the more powerful ones, alternating between normal mode and safe mode while disconnected from the internet.

I killed a very dangerous infection that supposedly required advanced tools this way. I ran MBAM 4 times with help from SAS and ATF cleaner and then SDFix towards the end. Even combofix would have required advanced training to fully remove the infection.
Chewy

#5 Arbypb

Arbypb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2008 - 09:12 PM

Thanks for the information. My computer is running faster when using the internet. However restarting seems to take 5-6 minutes. I may have too many programs or drivers from old programs trying to load during start up. I have heard it is a good idea to disable programs during start up to speed things up. I also am still having a long wait when using Outlook 2007 e-mail. I will click new message and then wait 30 seconds to a minute before it is ready to start my message. I guess this has nothing to do with past viruses and instead some software problem. Deleting and reinstalling the program did not not help. I will continue to use spybot and Norton to check up on the computer. Any other sugguestions for routine maintanence?

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2008 - 09:32 PM

several programs including the one you already used give a processes list

I don't think anyone would object to you posting that part of a log

Even with this barebone list of mine, windows is getting corrupt and I need to do a clean install myself, Of course I am a performance nut

Process

C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_06\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\bob\Desktop\SmitfraudFix\Policies.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe

don't run combofix again

teatimer can corrupt windows and programs with it's registry protection if you answer a question wrong

I use spybot myself

Edited by DaChew, 08 August 2008 - 09:35 PM.

Chewy

#7 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2008 - 09:38 PM

Any other sugguestions for routine maintanence?

I keep my startup programs to a minimum, periodically take out the trash, uninstall unused programs, keep data on another drive, and then defrag, never takes more than a few minutes
Chewy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users