Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Keyboard And Mouse Act Intermittently

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sborah99

sborah99

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 27 July 2008 - 08:33 PM

Hi all,

Last November (2007), I had a hard drive failure. My C drive froze and the only thing I knew how to do was to hold down the power button until the PC shut off. But, once I restarted the PC, I kept getting getting this error during the reboot: "The file NTFS.sys is either missing or corrupted." I inserted my Windows XP Home CD and tried to repair the installation but that didn't work. After a couple attempts at that, I finally used a friend's PC to get help online and the consensus was that I should do a complete re-install of XP. However, after I had everything back up and running, my Labtec wireless mouse began operating with intermittent skips and often not moving the cursor at all when I move the mouse and the Labtec wireless keyboard will often not print letters after I have pressed the keys and I often have to press keys a few times to get the letters on the screen. The keyboard is a Labtec wireless, model number Y-RU58, and the mouse is a Labtec wireless, model number M-RAL-98. I am running Windows XP Home with a 2.6 GHZ CPU and 1.5 GB RAM. At the time of the C drive crash, I had the wireless keyboard and mouse installed on my D drive so I know some files probably became corrupted because of the crash. Is there any way to get those old corrupted files off and maybe any corrupted registry keys? I have re-formatted the D drive since in an effort to possibly clean those old files off and to clear up a lot of disk space that I couldn't clear up because of the crash. (After the crash, a lot of the old folders on the D drive became inaccessible and wouldn't delete with either Killbox or Unlocker).

Thanks,

Stacy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Dr_Manhattan

Dr_Manhattan

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2008 - 09:23 PM

Try to go to your wireless keyboard's manufacturer's website and download the latest drivers for it. Install it and see if that works out for you. You can also try putting the receiver onto another usb port if the wireless receiver is usb connected.

#3 sborah99

sborah99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2008 - 09:40 PM

Try to go to your wireless keyboard's manufacturer's website and download the latest drivers for it. Install it and see if that works out for you. You can also try putting the receiver onto another usb port if the wireless receiver is usb connected.

I have tried installing the latest drivers and I still get the same results. Also, I forgot to say that my wireless sensor plugs into the mouse and keyboard plugs rather than the USB ports.

Thanks,

Stacy

#4 sborah99

sborah99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2008 - 04:30 PM

I also tried uninstalling the keyboard and mouse from the Device Manager and, after rebooting, Windows finds the new hardware and installs it but I get a message saying "Your new hardware is installe dbut may not work properly until you reboot." Now, the keyboard and mouse come with their own installation software, so could there be a conflict between Windows installing the hardware itself and not having the manufacturer's software installed instead?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users