Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linksys Router

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Meanie

Meanie

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 27 July 2008 - 07:19 PM

I have a Linksys wireless router model BEFW11S4 VER 3, which has a systems requirement of Windows 95, 98, ME, NT and 2000, but no mention of XP. My wife took it to work to use on her computer with XP, but didn't get into an extensive set up. I had Win 2000 which worked fine with it, but now, I would also like to take it to my place of work to use with my Win XP. Therefore, not knowing for sure if it will work with XP, can anyone verify that it will? Would I need an updated driver or anything other than the regular set up disk?

Thank you for any help received.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dr_Manhattan

Dr_Manhattan

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 27 July 2008 - 07:22 PM

Im thinking the router should work fine with your computer that has windows xp installed on it. Worst case maybe you might need to update the firmware of the drive.

#3 Ttech

Ttech

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2008 - 09:51 AM

Let me state this, I had purchased a linksys router about 8-10 years ago, when windows vista was not even a thought, and it worked fine, Your router will work just fine with XP. I will provide you with some steps to follow as well as set-up links.

Upgrade the Linksys router to the latest firmware @ Firmware download

1. Once you upgrade to the latest firmware or if there is no firmware upgrade, you need to perform a factory reset by holding in the reset button for 30 seconds located on back of the router, you will notice the routers lights blinking. Then wait about 2-3 minutes while the router syncs back up.

Note: The factory reset will erase all previous settings, so you may want to write down your settings as you will have to enter the settings back into the router.

You do not need the CD to install the router, You can set it up manually.

1. Just open up Internet Explorer and type 192.168.1.1
2. A Linksys sign-in box will open
3. User Name = (leave this blank)
Password = admin
4. Click OK

You should be at a Linksys set-up page, at this point I do not know if you have Cable or DSL connection so I will provide both set-up links below.

DSL set up link @ http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/linksy...&p_topview=

Cable set up link @ http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/linksy...amp;p_topview=1

Hope this helps,
Ttech

#4 Meanie

Meanie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2008 - 06:53 AM

Let me state this, I had purchased a linksys router about 8-10 years ago, when windows vista was not even a thought, and it worked fine, Your router will work just fine with XP. I will provide you with some steps to follow as well as set-up links.

Upgrade the Linksys router to the latest firmware @ Firmware download

1. Once you upgrade to the latest firmware or if there is no firmware upgrade, you need to perform a factory reset by holding in the reset button for 30 seconds located on back of the router, you will notice the routers lights blinking. Then wait about 2-3 minutes while the router syncs back up.

Note: The factory reset will erase all previous settings, so you may want to write down your settings as you will have to enter the settings back into the router.

You do not need the CD to install the router, You can set it up manually.

1. Just open up Internet Explorer and type 192.168.1.1
2. A Linksys sign-in box will open
3. User Name = (leave this blank)
Password = admin
4. Click OK

You should be at a Linksys set-up page, at this point I do not know if you have Cable or DSL connection so I will provide both set-up links below.

DSL set up link @ http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/linksy...&p_topview=

Cable set up link @ http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/linksy...amp;p_topview=1

Hope this helps,
Ttech

Ttech, thank you very much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users