Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard Or Motherboard Issus

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 AustinTerry

AustinTerry

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 27 July 2008 - 05:41 PM

Hello again everyone!
It's amazing how once you fix one problem, something else breaks on a different computer!

Sometime this last week, I realized my keyboard was not working. At least not in Windows. It will let me jog around to access Safe-mode or Setup, but nothing once Windows loads.

(Windows XP, SP3, Gigabyte MB...)

I had been un-installing a few old programs that I never use anymore to clear some of the "junk" off the old computer when I noticed.
I don't think anything was related to keyboard fuction.

Anyway... I when I go to device manager, I see a yellow !, followed by "STD 101/102-KEY or MICROSOFT NATURAL PS/2 KEYBOARD."
(the keyboard that was plugged in was actually a HP ENHANCED PS/2 KEYBOARD, which I have connected to this computer now and is working fine since that is what I'm typing with now.)

Ok... so I go to Properties and see the message "This Device Cannot Start (Code 10)"

I went thru all the troubleshooting steps Windows offered, no luck. (I managed to get the correct HP Keyboard to show in DM)

Microsoft says the code 10 is usually driver related, so I followed all of their steps, no luck. Even installing the updated patch.

I have tried unstalling-reistalling the device, installing new drivers, un-installed any and all Keyboard software (and drivers again) so it will reboot with generic drivers, disabled the USB mouse support,
nothing worked, I even tried to re-install all drivers off of the Gigabyte MB CD... nothing.

And some weirdness, even after un-istalling everything, and with either with NO keyboard or a totally different keyboard, when I reboot or look for new hardware, it will find the "old" hardware but still with the yellow exclamation mark.

I plugged in my other USB keyboard, it found it, installed it, said was ready to use, had it listed underneath the "bad" keyboard (that wasn't even plugged in anymore) and was "enabled and working properly", but... nothing actually worked.

I hope someone has some more and better ideas to try!

thanks in advance,

Terry

Edited by AustinTerry, 27 July 2008 - 05:42 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 27 July 2008 - 07:38 PM

When you removed it from Device Manager, did you also remove any related software in Add/Remove Programs?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 AustinTerry

AustinTerry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2008 - 09:08 PM

Yep... after un-installing, re-installing several times, I removed all keyboard software in add/remove (I found 2). Un-installed the device in DM, re-booted, and then in add hardware, it found the HP keyboard, but had a yellow ! by it. Clicked finish, and in DM, showed the same as above.

I have a Microsoft USB multimedia/internet keyboard connected to it now. I t didn't work either, so "Oh yeah.. I need to install the software...) Did that thinking that would make the USB keyboard work.
The "extra" buttons (internet, email, zoom, ect...) work, but none of the normal keys work, not even Num Lock, or Caps Lock.

So neither a ps/2 or a USB keyboard work.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 28 July 2008 - 01:59 AM

Is the USB keyboard enabled in the BIOS?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 AustinTerry

AustinTerry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2008 - 08:47 AM

I read that one did not need mouse USB support in BIOS, so I figured the same was true for Keyboard support.
I'll check tonite.

Do I find that in the BIOS setup in the CMOS?

On that computer, I don't have a option for F2 or F12, only DLT to enter CMOS.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2008 - 09:58 AM

Tapping the Delete key will get you into the BIOS
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#7 AustinTerry

AustinTerry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2008 - 06:46 PM

Ok.. tapped delete key... entering setup...
I'm in CMOS Setup Utilities, go to Integrated Peripherals, USB Keyboard Support [enabled]
Correct? Thats BIOS?

Still no worky! Rebooted twice even.
But while in CMOS/BIOS all the keys seem to work, Esc, F-keys, Num & Caps Locks

So why won't they work in Windows?

And why will the "extra" (Internet, email, calc, search, zoom, etc.) keys work in Windows but not the "normal" keys? (at least on the USB Keyboard, nothing works on the PS/2, except in Setup)

I hope I'm not making it too confusing on what works and what doesn't. I guess bottom line is my PS/2 Keyboard stopped working all together with the error msg showed above. The USB Keyboard shows "Device is working Properly", but still is unusable.

Thanks again for any help!

#8 AustinTerry

AustinTerry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2008 - 08:34 PM

Ok... Im thinking possible motherboard issue? So I went to Gigabytes website, had it scan for drivers and installed the 2 it showed to no avail.
It must be motherboard related tho... The PS/2 plugs directly into it, the USB either does also, or the additional USB ports I have are connected to it.
If the USB keyboard worked, I would say maybe a bad PS/2 port? But since neither PS/2 or USB keyboard work... and Ive updated all software and drivers (I think), for sure the USb software for the Microsoft keyboard.

Would updating the BIOS be of any help? Gigabyte has its @BIOS that makes it easy.

#9 AustinTerry

AustinTerry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2008 - 08:34 AM

Well... maybe it is a Windows issue? Since keyboards work during boot up, but not once in Windows. :thumbsup:
Can I re-post in the XP topics so maybe I'll get a little better response?

Edited by AustinTerry, 30 July 2008 - 08:34 AM.

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2008 - 09:40 AM

Have you tried another USB port? Do other USB devices work? I have seen in the past, Device Manager saying everything's working properly and the driver's still hosed
Maybe try remove the USB controllers then reboot and let Windows re-detect them
Mark
Posted Image

#11 AustinTerry

AustinTerry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2008 - 02:30 PM

I have tried the USB keyboard in another USB port, same.
My flash drive worked ok, if that counts as a device.

I read about removing all the controllers in the Universal Serial Bus controllers, but didn't see anything pertaining to keyboards and was afraid to remove everthing so I just left it alone. I'll wipe it out and re-boot when I get back home.

I also read to do it is safe mode. sound logical?

#12 AustinTerry

AustinTerry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2008 - 10:08 PM

none of that worked.

could it have anything to do with Microsoft .net Framework?

While looking up my HP machine at HP. I finally found Keyboard drivers listed with the PC model that the keyboard originally came with. Thinking I finally struck gold, download the drivers and tried to install only to be told I needed Microsoft .Net Framework 1.0 or greater to be able to install the drivers, and it said I did not. But I do/did...

Now I have spent the last several hours trying to re-install .Net 1.1 which is what I found to have. but can't install service pack 1.0 because it keeps saying a previous file is still downloading even tho I have completed the install and re-booted a couple different times.

Also noticed the name on the device in DM says "Enhanced Mulmedia Keyboard" instead of "Multimedia".

Help! Is getting very frustrating!

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,875 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2008 - 12:31 PM

I would download/install the Framework 3.0 or 3.5 package, which (I believe) includes any updates you might need.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

Louis

#14 AustinTerry

AustinTerry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2008 - 12:36 PM

To be specific about your questions Garmanma, I have a USB mouse connected which works fine.

I plugged the PS/2 keyboard back in, the one that originated the problem, and put the USB keyboard back on the new PC where it belongs. Trying to get back to the original problem.
As I was removing all the controllers, the USB mouse stopped working, so I had to push the reset button and reboot since I now I couldn't use mouse or keyboard. I then used a PS/2 adapter on the mouse so I could continue removing all the controllers. I unistalled the keyboard device again, rebooted, still same problem.

then following troubleshooting (again), I unlpugged the PS/2 keyboard and re-plugged it back in, then all of a sudden the PS/2 mouse stopped working. Took off the PS/2 adapter off mouse, plugged mouse back into USB port, mouse ok again.

Does that help?

Now... is my .Net Framework a totally different issue, or could it be related?

#15 AustinTerry

AustinTerry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2008 - 12:44 PM

Louis,

I actually tried downloading 2.0, but couldn't install on computer because it said something like my computer was not compatible.
In one part of Microsofts troubleshooting, it has a website to "clean up" and re-install .Net Framework.
I tried that and after waiting 45 minutes, it failed. But it showed I already had 1.0, 2.0, and 3.0 on my machine?
I'm not sure if it still deleted any files or not.

but I was able to install 1.1 again, after about 2 tries (don't know if it was ontop of what was laready there), but trying to download the drivers from HP, it still said I didn't have .Net Framework installed and canceled the intallation of the drivers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users