Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need To Dump Files To Make Room...what And How To ?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Speedway73

Speedway73

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 27 July 2008 - 04:26 PM

Newbie here....I went to defrag this morning and discoverd I only have 4.37GB out of 37.27GB of free space left. I need to dump some unused or files to make space. Is this as easy as deleting old jpeg pics and mpeg clips?? Any ideas or suggestions of what to look for to dump??

Thanks,

Roger

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 mme

mme

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 27 July 2008 - 04:41 PM

programs that you do use or need anymore
you can run disk clean up

Click Start button
then All Programs
Click ok Run
type this in
cleanmgr
Press ok

put check in all boxes except Program Files
click ok
and confirm delete

if you want more space you can gain it from system restore

Start>>>Control Panel>>System>>>System Restore Tab>>Slide The slider Back to About 3% Click Ok

If you dont see slider then Click on the drive in the box >>>it should be C:drive then click on settings

The Slider should show >>Slide it back to 3% >>>Click apply and Ok to close

you could also run CleanUp
download it from this site
you will gain a consider amoutable space

http://www.stevengould.org/index.php?optio...9&Itemid=72

Edited by mme, 27 July 2008 - 04:55 PM.

#3 Dr_Manhattan

Dr_Manhattan

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 27 July 2008 - 07:10 PM

If you want, you can also get an external hard-drive and transfer some of your files onto the external hard-drive.

#4 Speedway73

Speedway73
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2008 - 05:15 AM

programs that you do use or need anymore
you can run disk clean up

Click Start button
then All Programs
Click ok Run
type this in
cleanmgr
Press ok

put check in all boxes except Program Files
click ok
and confirm delete

if you want more space you can gain it from system restore

Start>>>Control Panel>>System>>>System Restore Tab>>Slide The slider Back to About 3% Click Ok

If you dont see slider then Click on the drive in the box >>>it should be C:drive then click on settings

The Slider should show >>Slide it back to 3% >>>Click apply and Ok to close

you could also run CleanUp
download it from this site
you will gain a consider amoutable space

http://www.stevengould.org/index.php?optio...9&Itemid=72

Thanks MME..That helped a bit. Got me 2 15% free space. Now..it's been a week or so and I just went to defrag again and I'm back down to 11% free space. I haven't downloaded any pics,mpegs or new programs. Something is eating my free space I fear.

I keep getting windows updates automatically...like evey other day. But when they try to load...it fails to load them every time. Keep getting an error. There's like 10 or 11 updates that it wants to load every time. Always the same ones. 1 of them is Windows Service Pack 3. Something tells me the updates are bogus and when I let it load...all it's doing is chewing at my hard drive space.

Any thoughts??

#5 KermitD

KermitD

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2008 - 06:29 PM

Wow, I don't know how anyone can get along with 37Mb. TigerDirect will sell you a Seagate 320 Gig HD for $60.00. Just a suggestion. Then you can transfer practically everything but what's in Program Files to the new HD. That's the way I would go. After all, it's only plastic.
KermitD
Choices have consequences.

#6 oneup

oneup

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2008 - 09:07 PM

disk cleaner is good times. CCleaner is another one that might help. Just uninstall programs you do not use anymore, that can free up lots of space!
Posted Image

#7 Guest_BlackBurst_*

Guest_BlackBurst_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 04 August 2008 - 09:28 PM

Wise Disk Cleaner works wonders. It deletes temporary files and directories and can be configured to delete other filetypes and/or directories.
However, don't run it with it's default settings, it could accidentally delete stuff you might need. On first run, change the settings and then run it afterwards.
I find that some programs generate a lot of temporary files, often with names like 923slkweo344.tmp or 239alkddlskf.temp ... these can be deleted.
Wised Disk Cleaner can delete other stuff too.

After you've run your programs to delete things, run something like JKdefrag or even WinContig. If your system is already backed up on another hard drive, you can
turn off system restore to regain some space, and then turn it back on again. Also check the virtual memory settings. You might need to limit the virtual memory pagefile
to something less intrusive.

Good luck

#8 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2008 - 01:54 PM

You can also free up space by getting rid of the backups Windows makes for the hotfixes.

When you install updates from Windows Update, backup folders are created for the files that were replaced during the update. These are created so that you can easily uninstall a particular Hotfix, if it causes problems with your system. If your system is running stable and you don't need to uninstall the hotfixes, then you can safely remove the backup files to free up disk space.

This utility will locate the Hotfixes that have created backup files on your system, and will remove those backups. It will also removes the associated Registry entries for these items in Add/Remove Programs.

NOTE: This utility does NOT remove application specific hotfix backups (Internet Explorer, Outlook Express, Media player and etc.). It will only remove hotfix backups that are specific to the Windows XP operating system.

Additionally, you may not notice an immediate recovery of disk space. This is because the backup files are protected by System Restore. When they are deleted, System Restore places a copy in the most recent, or a new, restore point. As older restore points are flushed out, and new ones created, you'll see the space gain.

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_hotfix_backup.htm

#9 Speedway73

Speedway73
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 01 November 2008 - 02:16 PM

O.K. guys.....I'm down to 0% free space...or 175mb free space left. I truly believe there's something in this 'puter that's eating away at the hard drive as I have not dowloaded ANYTHING...I mean ANYTHING since my last post. I keep getting what looks like an official "automatic updates" promt everytime I turn on the 'puter. EVERYTIME. When I attemt to download them....all of them fail. I *THINK* this may be the culprit.

Is there any free program or other that I can run to find out what might be infecting this thing?? I use Webroot's Spy Sweeper for my spywhere program and nothing comes up. Same with Norton Anti Virus....although when I run Norton....when it's finished...which takes nearly a day and half...it says that it scanned over 5,000,000 files. I can't think of 5 million files on this thing!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,819 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2008 - 08:46 PM

<<Norton....when it's finished...which takes nearly a day and half...it says that it scanned over 5,000,000 files.>>

You sure about that number you tossed out there?

I have close to a million files on this system...but I have about over 1 terabyte of storage space, with 200GB or so not used yet.

In any case...Symantec software has that hidden Recycle Bin feature that results in files which users consider deleted...being maintained perpetually on the system. That feature needs to be disabled.

http://service1.symantec.com/support/nsw.n...src=bar_sch_nam

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users