Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Many Of My Programs (ms Office, Adobe, Etc) Are Missing

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 D_Brew

D_Brew

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 27 July 2008 - 04:13 PM

Hi,

The Problem:

I first noticed yesterday when I booted that there was a problem. This is not the first time that I have been hit with an infection, but this ranks as one of the two most aggravating ones.
  • LS_HSI would attempt to install automatically after a reboot. I would hit cancel, but the program would try again. It would repeat 4-5 times.
  • When I tried to launch Outlook to check my email, the system tried to run the install program again.
  • I then tried Word and Excel, and the same problem occurred.
  • When I was searching for a way to clean the file, I discovered that Adobe Reader was missing as well.

I am running XP Home Edition SP 2. I am, or should I say "was" running MS Office Professional 2003.
Steps Taken So Far:

I found and ran Malwarebytes today and found that I had been infected by the following:
  • Fake.Dropped.Malware
  • Trojan.Vundo
  • Trojan.FakeAlert
  • Malware.Trace
Because the major symptoms that I am having, I paid special attention to the registry entries concerning Microsoft. It looks like it is the Fake.Dropped.Malware program that is causing most of the problems, though I am glad to be rid of the other problems as well. I have searched for information on this program, but I am finding little.

After I ran Malwarebytes, I downloaded a new version of ComboFix and ran it. I used ComboFix.exe effectively in the past to restore my computer to normal, but this time it didn't quite get me all the way back.

When I ran Malwarebytes again, it did not find any files infected. ComboFix also seems to think that everything is fine. However, I still do not have access to my programs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Cheers!
D_Brew

Edited by D_Brew, 27 July 2008 - 04:24 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 D_Brew

D_Brew
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2008 - 06:22 PM

I just discovered that my ACT! contact database program is missing as well.

When I say the programs are missing, I mean that the executable files are no longer in the folders that they are supposed to be. The folders are still there as well as all of the data files.

Mozilla, Filezilla, and IE all work. Windows Media works as well.

Programs known to be not working/missing:
Microsoft Office 2003 Programs including Word, Outlook, Excel, Project, Power Point, and Visio.
Adobe Reader 8.
ACT! 2006

I have not checked them all.

#3 D_Brew

D_Brew
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2008 - 08:05 PM

Hi All,

I do not know what hit my computer, but what ever it was, it just moved to the top of my hated list. For those of you who bother to read this, I wanted to give an update.

I did a search and found that there were quite a few folders that had changes in a 3 minute period yesterday from 13:24-13:26. When I checked many of the folders, I found them to be empty. Whatever attacked my computer, actually uninstalled the programs, or at a minimum it deleted the files. In many cases, all of the subdirectories are empty as well.

A-Squared
ACT
Adobe Reader 8.0
Microsoft Office
Primo PDF (allowed me to "print" to pdf format)
2 Bible Study programs
and many of the C:\program files\common files\ directory.

I have run all kinds of programs and have plenty of log files. Unfortunately, that will not replace the programs. Since I work remote (700 miles) from my office, it is going to be difficult for me to recover the ACT and Microsoft Office programs. The others are either free or I have the disks.

BR,
D_Brew

Edited by D_Brew, 27 July 2008 - 08:06 PM.

#4 D_Brew

D_Brew
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2008 - 05:03 PM

I did receive more information about this virus from an external source. It is apparently spread by email and only activates if you receive it on certain days of the month.

Anyway, I have replaced most of the Microsoft Office programs with open source programs. However, on occasion, the system tries to install some of the Office components, and if I hit cancel, it will try again. Also, Lightspeed tries to reinstall as well.

The folders are empty and the files are gone, so I will have to remove all reference to them manually and clean the registry using Regedit. Can some one direct me as to how to clean up my registry?

Thanks,
D_Brew

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users