Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP General Info

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Riven08

Riven08

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 21 April 2004 - 08:26 AM

New member here with XP question.

I use W98SE, and am comfortable with it. I have also heard it said (on another forum) that XP really should not be used by novices...that it is an advanced version of Windows, and that it should include a training session just on using XP (which means that new computer users buying their very first new system are disadvantaged, since they ALL come with XP now).

That said, I understand little about XP. I certainly am no "computer guru," but I have learned enough to help some friends through some problems. Still, they usually have XP, so there is little I can do. Is there a basic tutorial somewhere about using XP? I'd just like to have a little better understanding of it, whether I end up using it or not.

Thanks....Riven08

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,300 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2004 - 09:12 AM

Whoever told you that XP was for advanced users was downright wrong. If you using Win98 SE then migrating to Windows XP will not be a problem at all. The desktop is the same, the way you navigate is the same, etc.

The only differences is they tend to hide certain features from direct view by newbifying things. For example the classic control panel your used to is not shown by default, though you can click a link to convert it back.

So if you are worried about the transition to XP, you should not be.

BTW, what forum did you hear that remark about xp being advanced?

#3 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,514 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 21 April 2004 - 12:50 PM

Whoever told you that XP was for advanced users was downright wrong.

Amen to that. XP is more advanced than 98 but one advancement is in ease of use. I started learning computers in Dec. of 2002 & XP is all that I know from experience. It is no harder to learn than 98 would have been & I believe it was probably easier. I would be interested in reading what was said in that other forum also--perhaps just the transition from 98 to XP's "advancements" caused such remarks.

There are a few minor differences in functionality (not to mention major new features such as Remote Assistance). For example, the context menu in XP includes "Open With" by default, i.e., a simple right click on a file will include that option. In 98 I believe you have to hold down the Alt key while right clicking to have the "Open With" option.

Don't know of any tutorials on the differences as of yet (tho I wouldn't put it past Grinler to come up with one in a couple of days :thumbsup: ) but MSoft has done a comparison in this article: Common Windows 98 Tasks Are Easier with Windows XP . You might also look at this page for more info on the subject.

The MS article lists three advancements in ease of use:
1. Using Help--more options & more comprehensive.
2. Using the Start Menu--easier to manage
3. Using the Task Bar--"stacks" multiple windows of the same app when the TB starts getting crowded.

Another difference that I've seen commented on is XP's appearance. Much cleaner & polished. Some old timers call it cartoonish but I like it. Just a matter of personal taste.

From what I hear, where people run into trouble converting from 98 to XP is hardware related. Older PC's often have problems converting because some of the hardware isn't compatable. That's why many times it is advisable to buy a new pre-built (or build your own) that is "tuned" for XP.

The fate of all mankind, I see

Is in the hands of fools

--King Crimson

#4 radspanner

radspanner

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2004 - 08:38 AM

have to agree with the above post,my sister has a pc that i think noah used to design the ark. our pc with windows xp is much better both on the eye and with what xp can do,have to say that the style of xp is much sexier.

#5 magicmunchkin

magicmunchkin

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2004 - 09:40 AM

Hi there,
I have only had windows xp and find it easy on the eye and the mind. I also would be interested in what forum it was said that xp is for the advanced user, advanced i am not but like to think i'm learning.
Magic
Have a Great Day!!!

#6 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 03 May 2004 - 11:01 AM

:thumbsup: I hope it's OK to put in my 2 cents :flowers: ? When I first got a computer, I had Win98. It was neat and I liked it. Then I decided to get a new compy. It came with WindowsXP. At first I was worried that it would be harder to use and more complicated. It turned out the opposite was true. I found it to be very user friendly. For a newbie like me, it was a breeze. I really liked the change from 98. WinXP is great for newbies I think. Just MHO. :trumpet:

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#7 d_may

d_may

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 20 May 2004 - 09:27 PM

[SIZE=7][FONT=Arial][COLOR=red]I have had windows-xp since November of 2002. I switched from ME and boy am I glad I did. ME used to crash all the time. XP is much more stable, combining the best of windows 2000 and NT.
Looking foward to sp-2 which will make this latest operating system even more safe. Microsoft supports xp and until Longhorn comes out brand me a windows xp user!

#8 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,300 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2004 - 10:55 PM

Windows ME was the worst. It should never have been released.

I too cant wait for SP2.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users