Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Graphics?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 hipnad

hipnad

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 27 July 2008 - 01:38 PM

Having problem!

I just bought Grid for Pc and I have to run it on medium quality.

I just bought a $1000 computer a month ago and I feel that it is not acceptable to have to run it on medium. I put it on highest quality and the menu's took 30 seconds to respond after I would press enter to get through them. My system has a:

Processor: intel® Core™2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
RAM: 4. GB
system: 64 bit operating system
Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 1

GeForce 8500 GT
ForceWare Version: 169.60
Total availabel graphics: 2303 MB
Dedicated video memory: 512 MB
System video memory: 0 MB
Shared system memory: 1791 MB
Video Bios Version: 60.86.48.00.16
IRQ: 16
Bus: PCI Express x 6

direct x version 10

Is there anything I can do to improve it or is there any thing I can buy that would improve it.

I just want to be able to run it on high quality without having to wait 30 seconds for menu's to respond and have acceptable performance using high quality graphics mode.

Also the game was not meant to work with my graphics card which is Nvidia gt 8500.

it said Supported Graphics Cards :
ATI Radeon x1300, x1550, x1600, x1800, x1900, x1950, HD2600, HD2900, HD3870
NVIDIA Geforce 6800, 7100, 7300, 7600, 7800, 7900, 7950, 8600, 8800, 9600, 9800

"Game info"
Recommended Specifications
Windows XP/Vista. (if running Windows Vista SP1 is recommended)
DirectX 9.0c
Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.66Ghz or Athlon X2 3800+
2GB RAM.
Graphics Card: GeForce 8800 or ATI Radeon HD 3800 series
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Sound Card.
Dual Layer Compatible DVD-ROM Drive
12.5 GB Hard Drive Space

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ellypho

Ellypho

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 27 July 2008 - 05:46 PM

Grid is a heavy game, vista is a heavy operating system. Now not being a smartass do you have anything else running in the backround eg:limewire, browsers, winmedia and such? That would seriously slow you down. Another thing is that clones usually ship with cheaper GPU's then what would go nice with the CPU/ram. And not to make you feel like you computer is bad however your GPU is an economy GPU so it wont pump out that best picture im sorry. However im still running my little 7300 GS and im happy ^^. What you may do is overclock your GPU which in my opinion is the only thing holding back you system from going running Grid smoothly. :thumbsup:

Ellypho
CompTIA A+ certified

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 27 July 2008 - 11:04 PM

Can you try running the game in DirectX 9? DirectX 10 is very intensive and will often slowdown most games using it.

3939.png

#4 hipnad

hipnad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2008 - 11:11 PM

I posted this question on other sites and found out that my Nvidia 512 mb 8500 GT, which I thought was a corvette is really a ford focus. The large response I got was that in order to get a good experience I should invest in at least a 8800GT. Also I could put it to its limits by buying a ATi 3870HD ,Or Nvidia 9600GT. I did get suckered in to buying a package computer and opted out of buiding my own Pc which is what I originally wanted to do. How would I be able to overclock my 8500 Gt and is it better to just buy a better GPU?

#5 hipnad

hipnad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2008 - 11:15 PM

I Can run it with Direct X 9.0c but will this hinder the graphics?

Minimum Specifications

Windows XP/Vista. (if running Windows Vista SP1 is recommended)
DirectX 9.0c
Pentium 4 @ 3.0GHz or Athlon 64 CPU
1GB RAM.
Graphics Card: GeForce 6800 / Radeon X1300 or above
DirectX Compatible Sound Card
Dual Layer Compatible DVD-ROM Drive
12.5 GB Hard Drive Space

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2008 - 11:20 PM

For now the difference is negligible. I have a DX10 game and all it adds is some different smoke effects and some instability to the game. Try it and see how it goes.

3939.png

#7 hipnad

hipnad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2008 - 11:31 PM

"Now not being a smartass do you have anything else running in the backround" How can I tell if something is being run in the background?

I know windows always starts up things in the background all the time like virus scanner, firewall and utility operations like disk defragmentation and automatic update. This does not surprise me Because I am running Verizon Fios. I am unable to turn off my internet. It is on all the time. Hewlett packard is also a really good candidate for this, everytime I am on my computer Hewlett packard is always popping up doing things like updating stuff. My computer is always being monitored and is always being used by programs from Hewlett Packard and Windows and maybe even Verizon. It would be nice to be able to stop all these things all at once when I need it. I would like to be able to tell what is is running in the background. I don't know if I could stop any of them though, I wouldn't be surprized if they had minds of their own. I did have a computer running win 98 about 5 years ago and it did have a mind of its own. Every time I turned it on it would do what ever it wanted to and was unpredictable from one day to the next, which is probably why many new people were scared of computers in the 90's.

#8 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2008 - 11:40 PM

I wouldn't be shocked if there wasn't stuff running in the background, especially if you bought it from a large manufacturer like Dell or HP. They load all sorts of unneeded and unused garbage onto the PC that really slows things down. You can shut down the various monitoring programs as a test to see if they're causing the slowdown. Just don't forget to turn them back on.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users