Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Pro Will Not Boot Up

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 wishmd

wishmd

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 27 July 2008 - 01:30 PM

I downloaded a file that had spyware. I did not install it. Checked it with SuperAntiSpyware, which detected it, and I clicked "REMOVE". I then shut the computer down. On restarting, it begins the Windows start, then quickly flashes a blue screen with messages, then restarts again. Can't read the messages, too quick.

Then I get a screen that says start did not work and that I should choose the next earlier configuration, or start in safe mode, by using the arrow keys. But the arrow keys do not work. It starts again in standard mode, and the sequence repeats itself.

I tried to start it using the XP Install CD, but for some reaqson it does not recognize it either, just goes to the sequence I described.

Is there a way to get the arrow keys to move, so I can start with the next previous configuration?

Other ideas? all help is welcome!!
Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 imatechie

imatechie

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 27 July 2008 - 05:14 PM

How new is your computer? I do know that on earlier computers (The ones that don't support booting from USB) that a USB keyboard is pretty much useless until XP is loaded and the USB ports are recognized. If your computer has a PS/2 keyboard jack, I'd borrow a PS/2 Keyboard and try it again. Also, I'd go into BIOS and check the boot order and make sure the CD is first choice, the hard drive second. On one of my computers, I can't use a USB keyboard to boot from CD when it says to Press any Key to boot from CD. I have to use a PS/2 one.

Of course, I am making an assumption that you are using an USB keyboard.

Just some ideas,

JB
The only real problem that I have with being an I.T. Tech is that I can't use the excuse:
"Sorry, I don't do windows."

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 29 July 2008 - 12:18 PM

Do you have an XP CD?

If so...try running the chkdsk /r command from the Recovery Console.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users