Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Home Edition Doesnt Go To Standby

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 sreez

sreez

• Members
  • 634 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 27 July 2008 - 12:35 PM

Hi Guys,

I have this problems since a few days, my system doesnt go into standby mode. I have checked the drivers there are all upto date and I dont think this is some malware. It strucks at standby mode I have to restart my system from there.

Any idea guys why is this happening.

Thanks,
Sreez

LIFE is so simple, if you know the reason of your existence at certain place. Treat every step as first one and trust god, friends, relatives and everyone.

Its a simple magic trick given to me by one friend also and I am at this stage  :love4u:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 27 July 2008 - 01:05 PM

Although your drivers may be the most updated version, it's possible that they've been corrupted. The first thing to do would be to download a fresh copy of the video drivers, then uninstall the one's that are on the system, reboot, and install the one's that you downloaded.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 sreez

sreez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 634 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2008 - 02:13 PM

Hi mate,

Thanks for the instant reply, I have dell resource CD with the Device drivers in it Will that be ok? My video driver is Mobile intel 915GM/GMS, 910GML Express chip set Family. When I searched for these drivers I was confused as there were many links regarding this

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/cs-020149.htm

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_res...mp;submit=Go%21

So can you please suggest me, in downloading and installing them.I am noob.

Thanks

LIFE is so simple, if you know the reason of your existence at certain place. Treat every step as first one and trust god, friends, relatives and everyone.

Its a simple magic trick given to me by one friend also and I am at this stage  :love4u:

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2008 - 04:43 PM

If your drivers are up to date as you stated in your post, then the drivers on the Dell CD likely aren't up to date.

These are (from the information that you provided) the most up to date Intel drivers for your video chipset: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_res...5&submit=Go!
Download the first one, uninstall the old ones, reboot your system, then double click on the one you downloaded to install it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 sreez

sreez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 634 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2008 - 08:04 AM

Hi Usasma,

I have downloaded the drivers from that link and followed the process which you said.I checked if it resolves, but still my computer cant go to standby mode. Can you suggest me what else should I look for now.

Thank,
Sree

#6 sreez

sreez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 634 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2008 - 02:50 PM

Hi Guys,

The problems still persists so I am triggering this topic again.I have downloaded the video drivers from the dell website, I also downloaded a program "driver detective" to check if all are upto date. That program still says that my display drivers out of date even though I installed from dell.

The main problem is my system doesnt go into standby mode. :thumbsup: .So can somebody advise me regarding this.

Cheers,
Sreez

#7 sreez

sreez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 634 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2008 - 05:21 AM

Hi All,

I thought to trigger this topic again, Hope somebody replies me this time.

Cheers

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2008 - 06:52 AM

I'd have to suggest a repair install of Windows at this point (since I'm out of ideas).
If you have Internet Explorer 7 installed, read this article first: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=917964
Then perform the repair install as indicated here: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

FYI - Your Dell Operating System disk will work to perform the repair install.

#9 sreez

sreez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 634 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2008 - 02:11 PM

Hi Guys,

My computer is making me cry now. I followed the repair of windows using the dell cd provided, but I didnt knew that it formats all the documents and the pictures which I have. I thought that it just would the repair the windows folder. Oh god what should I do now.

one more thing is that the windows loading process, the blue screen which shows with left pane showing " collecting information" "dynamic update" "preparing installation" .This process stoped at Installing devices progress bar shows 34 minutes remaining and never finishes it.

Guys please suggest me , did I lose everything is there any way I can back everything or what I should now please :thumbsup:

Thanks,
Sree

Edited by sreez, 05 August 2008 - 03:50 PM.

#10 sreez

sreez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 634 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2008 - 11:30 AM

Hi Guys,

Can you please suggest me regarding , I am feeling as if I lost whole world now. :thumbsup:

Thanks,
Sree

#11 Thunder

Thunder

• Members
  • 3,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 06 August 2008 - 12:06 PM

Hello Sree,

That's probably due to some hardware/driver failure.
Try disconecting all PCI and plugin hardware (usb ports, network card, ...) that is not strictly needed for the installation,
and once installed reconnect them one by one, and install the proper drivers.

Googling on "34 minutes" shows it's quite a common problem with various causes.

Greetings,
Thunder
Whatever happens, make believe it was intended to ...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted Image - If I have helped you in any way, please consider a donation to help me continue the fight against malware.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Stand Up & Be Counted --> Posted Image <-- And make a difference

#12 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 06 August 2008 - 02:01 PM

Guys please suggest me , did I lose everything is there any way I can back everything or what I should now please

Sorry, it's gone.

As for the setup problem, see here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/828267
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#13 sreez

sreez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 634 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2008 - 10:11 AM

Hi Thunder and Garmanma,

I thought that repair would replace the only the C:Windows folder but why did it format whole system.

I cant believe that I did this.

What can I do now.

Thanks,
Sree

#14 sreez

sreez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 634 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2008 - 08:09 AM

Sorry, it's gone.

Hi Garmanma,

Thank god I got them back, I installed a knoppix cd and I can see my hard disk in there. All I need is extenal drive to copy those folders and then I will install a new OS.

Anyways thanks a lot guys for your suggestions and advice
Sree

#15 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 08 August 2008 - 09:43 AM

Glad to hear it worked out for you
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users