Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Networking

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 thebigchill

thebigchill

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 15 April 2005 - 06:07 PM

:thumbsup: Hello evey one I am a new member.
I have a problem with one of my 3 home networked computers.
It is an XP home machine which refuses to see or be seen by the other PCs (an XP Laptop and WIN ME PC). I can acces the web using all 3 computers so i know the cabling is OK.

All 3 computers have different names and users logged in but the workgroup is the same for all. When I try to access the workgroup from the problem PC I get this eror message:

Carr is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available

I am looged in with adminitrator rights. I have searched microsoft but found now help which will fix the problem.

Has any one any suggestions before I wipe my HDD and reinstall XP. :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gunner

gunner

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 15 April 2005 - 10:59 PM

You no doubt have done this, but have you tried running the network wizard on the problem computer? When you click "view workgroup computers" is there 2 or 3?
Spike's advice: Backup your data routinely.

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 15 April 2005 - 11:12 PM

Carr is not accessible.

Huh????

I should tell you now I don't really know what I'm talking about, but what i'm suggesting will not hurt anything so you might as well try...

I'm assuming all your IP addressing is correct since you can access the internet via a shared modem/router?

I had a lot of problems getting a WinXPHome and a Win98 PC to talk to one another and along the way tried so many things I don't know what the actual fix was. However two factors which I came across were:

(1)enable the guest account on the XP system.
(2)share something (printer or folder) on the XP system.

Its worth a try.

Edited by Rimmer, 15 April 2005 - 11:13 PM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users