Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Hd

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JH&A

JH&A

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 27 July 2008 - 10:24 AM

Hello! Other discussions on this forum were very helpful in my first purchase of an external hard drive. I purchased the Maxtor One Touch 4 250 GB and successfully backed up files. The problem is that I thought this product also came with SafetyDrill, software to recover the internal drive contents and operating system. Unfortunately, that's only included with other models.

I have a bit more knowledge than a beginner, but if my computer would completely crash because of age or a virus I would probably need extensive tutoring or have to pay a professional to get it running again. I have a Dell desktop, almost 4 years old, a good firewall and anti-spyware/virus programs and use the computer mostly for home finances and digital photos. So the possibility of this happening is on the low side.

I downloaded the Disk Wizard software from Seagate in an attempt to back up the operating system but this is new territory for me and the terms used are confusing. Can anyone offer an opinion if backing up the internal drive and OS is overkill based on my family's limited reliance on this computer? Is this task too advanced for someone of limited knowledge? If you think it is prudent to back up the OS, is there an easier tool than Disk Wizard?

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,381 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 27 July 2008 - 12:04 PM

IMO...the best tool for doing backups for the user who wants minimum fuss/irritation...is a disk-imaging program, such as Acronis True Image or what is now called Symantec Ghost.

I don't use Acronis or Ghost because I still have a program I acquired in 2001 which works well with XP..if I didn't have it, I would probably go with True Image.

http://www.tech-faq.com/disk-imaging.shtml

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...Inc.-_-32200004

It's a lot cheaper and less frustrating to have at least one good disk image...than taking your system in to a local shop for items which you yourself can correct or overcome.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 27 July 2008 - 12:05 PM.

#3 JH&A

JH&A
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 27 July 2008 - 02:39 PM

That makes sense. Thank you!

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,381 posts