Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Restore Erratic - Restore Points On Disk "not" Selected

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 fonduekid

fonduekid

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 27 July 2008 - 07:39 AM

Hi People,

I have system restore enabled for C: but not for the D: (which in my case is a recovery, as it came from the factory). I have not enabled that to be part of the system restore point creation. BUT STILL, every time there is a system restore point (either scheduled or manual) being made for C:, it also seems to create a restore point for D:. How is this possible?? Is there somewhere I could select the disks specifically other than the control panel>system>system protection?? Because here, only C: is checked.. but still restore points are being created for D:. Of course, when I uncheck the box next to D: and apply, it removes the restore point and it even asks me if I want to turn off restore point creation for that disk. I say yes, but then it comes back out of nowhere.

:huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

Thanks for any inputs/solutions. Cheers.

Edited by fonduekid, 27 July 2008 - 07:40 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 fonduekid

fonduekid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2008 - 04:22 AM

*bump*

Anyone people?? :huh: :huh:

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 28 July 2008 - 02:57 PM

You're not being ignored, the topic has had at least 47 views so far. It's just that we (well, actually "me") don't have anything to add that may help. I'd suggest looking over at this website for more assistance with System Restore: http://bertk.mvps.org/html/vista.html
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 fonduekid

fonduekid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2008 - 04:38 AM

You're not being ignored, the topic has had at least 47 views so far. It's just that we (well, actually "me") don't have anything to add that may help. I'd suggest looking over at this website for more assistance with System Restore: http://bertk.mvps.org/html/vista.html

Thanks for your reply. Of course I understand what you are saying, mate :-) You are kind.

I did search around for the past month or so, and would you believe it, even one month of searching for a solution did not get me one. And I just realized / figured out that this was a really really rare issue. I am still searching.

As for the link you gave, yes, I have seen it before along with the wonderful tutorials on this site. I tried reading them over and over again to see if there are hints to my problem. But I didn't come across anything.

I have written to Microsoft & Dell (my manufacturer) today. Let me see what they say. I will get back to you with the replies / solutions and hope its useful for others in the future too. :-) Cheers and thanks again.

Edited by fonduekid, 29 July 2008 - 06:02 AM.

#5 fonduekid

fonduekid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2008 - 04:55 AM

By the way, do you think I could probably turn off system restore specifically for D: using some system settings like volume shadow copy or whatever? I know its mainly used for setting the size of the system restore / shadow copy files, but do you have any idea of something similar deep down within Vista? Thanks a lot.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 29 July 2008 - 07:16 AM

Sorry, but I've got no clue about this. On the PC's that I've seen, most do not monitor the recovery partition - but I don't know if your PC has something special that requires System Restore to monitor your D: drive. Dell would be the most knowledgeable about this, so I'd suggest following their advice.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users