Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Svchost.exe Repeatedly Trying To Access Internet

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 blub

blub

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 27 July 2008 - 12:21 AM

I'm on a dialup connection with one phone line so I have to have turn windows automatic updates off, but I update manually. If I leave automatic updates on, it will start downloading updates at inconvenient times (like when I only intend to be online for 5 minutes to check my email and my wife needs to use the phone) and then I have to stop the updates.

So, in the past two weeks svchost.exe (located in c:\windows\system32) has been repeatedly trying to access windows update. These are some examples of what it's trying to connect to in my firewall logs:
windowsupdate.microsoft.com (207.46.18.94)
au.download.windowsupdate.com (4.23.40.123)
download.microsoft.com (68.142.110.112)
download.windowsupdate.com (8.12.202.123)

The thing is, until two weeks ago, svchost.exe rarely tried to access Microsoft updates. In fact, looking over the past six months of my firewall logs, svchost.exe has not tried to contact Microsoft updates at all. And during the past week wualct.exe has been running a lot. I sometimes see the little update icon in the system tray. I haven't seen that there in over 2 years.

Can anyone explain why svchost.exe and wuauclt.exe (located in c:\windows\system32) have been trying to update so much in the past two weeks when they rarely tried before? It makes me wonder if something isn't working right or if I have an infected computer. I ran several antivirus and antispyware scans and found nothing. I don't think my computer is infected. But what I'm seeing doesn't make sense.

If this activity is normal then I'll accept that. But at least tell me why there's been more activity in the last two weeks than in the last three years.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 27 July 2008 - 01:39 AM

You may have automatic time updates turned on. This runs as a svchost hosted process which periodically attempts to connect to an internet service to set your clock. You can turn that off by right clicking on the clock in your task bar, and select Adjust Date/Time, and click on the Internet Time tab.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 27 July 2008 - 07:23 AM

I would suggest using this free application to re-register your Windows Update dll's: http://wiki.lunarsoft.net/wiki/Dial-a-fix#Standard_version
Also, try clearing the Software Distribution folder using this application also.

Then, check to ensure that you've got all the latest Windows Update software, and the Windows Updates that are required for your system.
In particular, check for Version 3 of the Windows Update software, and check for the KB927891 update

Both are available at this article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927891
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users