Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Can't Get Certain Lettters To Work!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Dentongirl182

Dentongirl182

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 26 July 2008 - 11:05 PM

I can't get certain letters to work on my keyboard. Specifically "I K O 8". I've been having to copy and paste alot to write this. I'm not sure what happened when this all started. I ran my symantec anti-virus and I cleaned a trojan start page virus off my system and everything was good for about a day or 2. Then it all started up again and it tells me that explorer was messing up and I thought it was because it wanted me to do an upgrade, so I did. Now my computer is runnning alot slower and when I tried running the anti spy again, it doesnt fin anything. I've tried my Spyware Dr. and it doesnt find anything. I tried yahoo anti spy and it can't find anything. Whats wrong with my system? Sometimes it lets me get a letter or 2 in. Is it because my system is so congested or what? I know I got a TON of crap on my system but it was'nt doing this before. I even uninstalled some programs just to make sure it wasnt due to everything being here. Also, I really HATE this new explorer, is there any way of going back to the old version? Please help me! ~Lindsey

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hiprocka

hiprocka

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 27 July 2008 - 01:18 AM

I can't get certain letters to work on my keyboard. Specifically "I K O 8". I've been having to copy and paste alot to write this. I'm not sure what happened when this all started. I ran my symantec anti-virus and I cleaned a trojan start page virus off my system and everything was good for about a day or 2. Then it all started up again and it tells me that explorer was messing up and I thought it was because it wanted me to do an upgrade, so I did. Now my computer is runnning alot slower and when I tried running the anti spy again, it doesnt fin anything. I've tried my Spyware Dr. and it doesnt find anything. I tried yahoo anti spy and it can't find anything. Whats wrong with my system? Sometimes it lets me get a letter or 2 in. Is it because my system is so congested or what? I know I got a TON of crap on my system but it was'nt doing this before. I even uninstalled some programs just to make sure it wasnt due to everything being here. Also, I really HATE this new explorer, is there any way of going back to the old version? Please help me! ~Lindsey

I know hardly anything about computers. However, I saw that nobody had responded to your thread and I wanted to show some empathy.

When I have trouble with my keyboard, sometimes the problem will go away if I press number lock. Also, assuming you're using a laptop, you may want try and external keyboard. You should be able to get one for around $30 at your local electronics store.

You also may want to run System Restore. It sounds like you have Vista though; i suppose System Restore might work differently in Vista than in XP.

I agree that IE6 was easier to use than IE7. However, IE7 has more features. Once you get acquainted with it, you'll like it.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 27 July 2008 - 01:27 AM

Try using Key Tweak.

How to roll back to IE 6

Start> Control Panel> Add or Remove Programs.

Place a check mark in the Show Updates box at the top of the page.

Scroll down the list and highlight the version of Internet Explorer 7 that you are running, and then click Change/Remove.

You mention that you computer is "congested", how large is you hard drive, and how much free space do you have on it?

Your hdd needs to have at least 15% free space for file swap space.

Start> My Computer. Place your mouse's pointer over the C: drive and the Free Space, and Total Size will appear.

Edited by dc3, 27 July 2008 - 01:29 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 imatechie

imatechie

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 27 July 2008 - 04:57 PM

As for the keyboard problem, I would also suggest as in the first reply that you borrow or buy a keyboard and see if the problem goes away, if it does, you know it's the keyboard. If you have the same problem with a different keyboard, then it is likely that the problem is with the OS. I know that in Florida, I've seen new keyboards as low as $5.00, but they may have went up slightly, the last keyboard I bought a few years ago was $4.99 at Big/Odd Lots and Wallie World (Wmart) has had them for as low as $9.99.

Actually, I've also picked up a few from peoples trash that were sitting by the roadside looking lonely.

JB
The only real problem that I have with being an I.T. Tech is that I can't use the excuse:
"Sorry, I don't do windows."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users