Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost Background Sound

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 JXBlack

JXBlack

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 26 July 2008 - 08:00 PM

I recently installed a new Hard Disk Drive. The installation seemed to go fine except for two things.

#1 I lost all the background sounds on my various windows games.
#2 Every time I boot up I get a message that windows found a "new PCI Modem" It show a yellow question mark and keeps hunting for this mysterious modem untill I cancel. I didn't install a new modem and my internet seems to be working fine..

Help?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 26 July 2008 - 08:11 PM

What is the make and model of your computer?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 26 July 2008 - 08:26 PM

Did you install the drivers for the motherboard and modem?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 JXBlack

JXBlack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2008 - 06:58 AM

My computer was built by a local computer shop and has ben running for about 3 years. I have not changed motherboards or modems since it was originally constructed. The only thing we did was add a new Dard Disk Drive.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2008 - 07:37 AM

Please download the free version of this utility: http://www.gtopala.com/index.html
When it runs, scroll down to the motherboard section and copy and paste that info into your next post.
Please don't post any information that contains your OS or software Product Keys - you don't want the hassles when the key gets stolen
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 JXBlack

JXBlack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2008 - 06:05 AM

Thank You for your reply.
I hope the below listed data is what you wanted?

Property Value
Manufacturer MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD
Model MS-7125
Version 1.0
Serial Number

North Bridge NVIDIA nForce4 Revision A3
South Bridge NVIDIA nForce4 MCP Revision A3

CPU AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor 3000+
Cpu Socket Socket 939

System Slots 5 PCI

Memory Summary
Maximum Capacity 16384 MBytes
Maximum Memory Module Size 4096 MBytes
Memory Slots 4
Error Correction None

Warning! Accuracy of DMI data cannot be guaranteed

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2008 - 05:52 PM

When you changed hard drives, did you reinstall Windows?
Please go to Start → Run → and type in "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter
Do you see any red X's or yellow !'s ?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2008 - 06:46 PM

Your motherboard, MS-7125, is a MSI K8N NEO4. Trouble is there's version 1.0 and 3.0
Do you see any version numbers in SIW?
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#9 JXBlack

JXBlack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2008 - 10:38 PM

Thank you for your replies.

Attention: usamsa

I looked at my device manager and it showed 2 items under "other Devices" with Yellow question marks. Both were described as "PCI Modem".
I also had 1 Red X under "sysyem devices" and it was described as "PnP BIOS Extension.

Attention: garmama

I believe that it is version 1

Thanks to both of you for your interest.

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2008 - 07:56 AM

Right click on each device mentioned and select Properties
Then click on the Details tab
Then select Hardware ID in the dropdown box

Most devices will have 4 characters after the VEN_ and another 4 characters after the DEV_ - please let us know what they are.
If the device doesn't have that info, just copy the entire line and post it here.

#11 JXBlack

JXBlack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2008 - 08:37 AM

Thank you for your reply.

Hardware id of first yellow PCI Modem:

PCI\VEN_1340&DEV_2189&SUBSYS_1002134D&ReV_04
PCI\VEN_1340&DEV_2189&SUBSYS_1002134D
PCI\VEN_1340&DEV_2189&CC070300
PCI\VEN_1340&DEV_2189&CC0703

Hardware id of second yellow PCI Modem:

PCI\VEN_2000&DEV_2800&SUBSYS_2800122D&ReV_02
PCI\VEN_2000&DEV_2800&SUBSYS_2800122D
PCI\VEN_2000&DEV_2800&CC070300
PCI\VEN_2000&DEV_2800&CC0703

Hardware of PnP BIOS Extension

Root\d347bus

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2008 - 09:23 AM

Do you Daemon Tools or another, similar CD/DVD program? If so, the PnP BIOS Extension may be related to that. Uninstall the program and see if it goes away.

The others don't show any results in any of the places that I looked for them. You can disable them, but I have no idea of the effect that it'll have on your system (since I can't figure out what the device actually is). I suspect that there won't be any problems, but stranger things have caused issues that I didn't expect.

#13 JXBlack

JXBlack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2008 - 04:38 AM

I un installed Daemon tools a few months ago and I'm not sure what other programs might be siminliar. Is the a way of asking Google to list similiar programs?

I have been having trouble getting Nero 8 to work so I in installed that and neroxml (whatever that is).

I disabled the two yellow question marks and the open tombstaone tring to install a new PCI modem has ceased.

The red x remains and I still have no sound on my windows or other games.

#14 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2008 - 09:49 AM

The sound driver for your motherboard here:
http://global.msi.com.tw/i
Mark
Posted Image

#15 JXBlack

JXBlack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2008 - 08:04 PM

I downloaded and installed the sound card files and everything seemed to go OK, but it did not get my background windows games sound to start working.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users