Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows & Linux On Same Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 csiagent

csiagent

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 26 July 2008 - 06:22 PM

I had to reinstall Windows XP Pro because of Trojan Virus compromised the whole system. The deal is that I was running Kubuntu on the other half of my HDD. After wiping the Windows side clean and reformatting it I reinstalled XP and noticed right away that my option to choose Kubuntu in the start up menu is gone and now it boots directly to XP without stopping or giving me the option to choose like it used to. When partitioining the HDD I was cardful not to change anything except the Windows XP side of things so this would not happen. Is there any way to get this set up like I used to have it, or is my Linux been erased? I still show my 80 gig sata drive at 40 gig, so I know it is still partioned in half.

Thanks,

csiagent
Those who watch with indifference the attacks upon their neighbors, fall into degeneracy themselves.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Trio3b

Trio3b

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 27 July 2008 - 12:40 AM

As a general rule Windows installer does not want any other OS on the hard drive so it ignores or wipes clean the boot sector if installed AFTER any other OS has been installed. (gee I wonder why?)

Conversely, as a general rule most Linux distros are fine with sharing the HD with another OS. (guess there's that old pesky "community" ideology at work).

Barring any weird stuff, your Kubuntu install is still there, just reboot using your Linux disc and select reinstallation of the boot loader at which time Kubuntu should recognize both OS's and allow you to add them both to the MBR and you should be good to go.

hope this helps.

Edited by Trio3b, 27 July 2008 - 12:45 AM.

#3 csiagent

csiagent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2008 - 07:22 PM

Thanks for your help Trio3b.

I put the reinstall disc back in and it basically looked like it wanted me to reinstall Kubuntu. It recognized my HDD but not the two different partitions, only the whole 80gig drive and not the 40gig that it was installed on. This was confusing to me so I stopped the installation. It did give me the opportunity to partition the drive again but I did not want to do that. I was hoping it recognize its own partition and it didn't. Should I reinstall the whole thing?
Those who watch with indifference the attacks upon their neighbors, fall into degeneracy themselves.

#4 Trio3b

Trio3b

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2008 - 10:51 PM

Under Windows, how big does your HD appear to be? If it's only 40g then that means that there's another 40gb partition floating around there. If it shows 80gb, then it is likely that the whole disc was used by Windows and this would help confirm the fact that the Kubuntu installer also only sees the whole 80gb partition meaning your original Linux install is probably gone.

It's been a while since I installed Windows. If I'm not mistaken, the Windows installer will not recognize a preexisting ext3 partiton ( from your original Linux install) and so when you re-installed Windows you should have been given a 40gb part to install it on. Is it possible that you inadvertently selected the entire disc upon which to install Windows?

Not that familiar with your version of Kubuntu but if it is a Live version, you should be able to run it (without installing) and check the partitions under "places" .

FYI Unless you did something out of the ordinary, Linux automatically partitions any REMAINING free space (e.g. the 40gb space not used by Windows) into three partitions - a root part for the OS, a swap, and the rest for your home folder...so if you reinstall the Linux OS it won't touch your Linux home folder unless you tell it to. It will only rewrite the OS or (root /) partition and your Linux home folder will remain intact.

hope this helps

Edited by Trio3b, 27 July 2008 - 11:03 PM.

#5 Trio3b

Trio3b

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2008 - 11:15 PM

There are some SATA/BIOS disk partitioning issues that may be happening here, but the quickest thing would be to use a LiveCD to view the existing partitions.

#6 csiagent

csiagent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2008 - 07:20 AM

I believe you are correct about Windows, it will not recognize any other OS. That being said I went back through and booted to Kubuntu and it DID recognize Windows and the other partition of Linux. They were all there. That being said I did not know how to make any changes in start up to recognize both OS, so I reformatted Kubuntu and reinstalled it. Now it set itself back to the way it used to be and I can use both. It seems easy enough but I was simply trying not to have reinstall the whole OS, I thought there might be another way, and I still don't know maybe there is and I just don't see it. I'm not very familiar with Linux but I really like what I see and want to get better at it. Thanks for all your help.

#7 Trio3b

Trio3b

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2008 - 11:38 PM

Glad you got it going. Yes, you should have been able to just reinstall the Linux boot loader (LILO or GRUB) onto the master boot sector and not the whole OS.

Just a suggestion. Pickup a used Plll (they can be had from your local thrift shop for under $50 and use it to learn Linux before you try things on your "real" PC.

If you are new to Linux from Windows may I also suggest Mandriva, PCLOS or SAM Linux. THey all have a graphical (GUI) administration center all located in one spot quite unlike most other distros which have the admin tools spread out all over. I believe other distros including ubuntu are starting to adopt this. Mandriva is a Redhat derivative that is fairly mature compared to other distros and consequently has a more experienced user base to learn from.

They have free and non-free versions, as well as LiveCD , USB flashdrive , DVD and multi-CD versions. They seem to have the right combination of cutting edge and conservative software in their repos and their forums are second to none. They just don't advertise like they should, so they seem to get lost in the shuffle. I've been using MDK 2005LE (10.2) and MDV one 2008 for my business for the past 3 yrs. I have installed Mandriva on several dozen RANDOM PCs ( I never check the hdwr compatibility lists anymore) with only one problematic install. Mandrivas installer is first rate. I think I even got it loaded onto an old lawnmower last year! :thumbsup:

Good Luck

Edited by Trio3b, 28 July 2008 - 11:39 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users