Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hp 520n No Sound...need Advanced Help!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 fignozzle

fignozzle

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 26 July 2008 - 12:39 PM

Hello all, and thanks for this forum!
My Dad asked me to repair his HP Pavillion 520n that will not load any audio driver. XP Pro, SP3.

I have spent 5 sessions now with HP support, to no avail.
They finally broke down and agreed to send me recovery disks...if I BOUGHT them (I went ahead...) :thumbsup:

1st time, I got DVD driver update disk. Called back, confirmed some additional ID numbers on the bottom of the case, and they shipped a (supposedly) correct set of recovery disks (which I had to purchase),
However, they would not run on my unit, and gave an error "these are the incorrect disks for your machine". :flowers: :trumpet:

At that point, the rep I called advised me (after some more troubleshooting) that due to a "Code Purple" and some "Motherboard tattoo", they needed to have me ship the unit to them, and they would fix, ship both ways at their expense. I was very happy, until she put me on hold, came back and said "Oh, well we no longer will have the resources needed to fix this machine, so our best advice is to buy a new computer."

I called a supervisor the next day, she took me through the same process and finally offered the same solution (ship it, fix it at their expense). Came back a few minutes later, and told me once again they couldn't fix it, and I should buy a new computer, and could she help me pick out a new HP... :inlove: :cool: :)

Long story short, the ONLY thing wrong with this unit is that I cannot seem to find ANY way to get the audio drivers to work, or any audio whatsoever.

I've downloaded and installed the correct drivers from the HP site, to no avail. Still show you must first install an audio device and "No Audio Device" found.

Is there anything else to be tried?

(I can provide additional info like BID, P/N, Recovery Disk series#, etc. when I get home after the 4th holiday).

Thanks,
Ben/Figgy
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

You have a real old audio system'

Audio AC97 Down
ACā€™97 CODEC device Crystal CS4299

My suggestion is to get a sound add on card ....

http://www.geeks.com/products.asp?cat=SND

The sound card you are trying to use goes back to NT days.

drivers supported and OS's

http://tinyurl.com/5se8rg

You may be able to FORCE win2000 drivers for it.
BUt a new sound card is best.

PC homepage

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product...c=us&dlc=en
&lang=en&cc=us

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
UPDATE:

I purchased a sound card, here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16829180004

I disabled the old AC97 card in DevMgr,
installed the new one with no trouble... completed successfully, but immediately after reboot gives a "Debug error" and says that something failed to load (will update from home with details). I've un/reinstalled, tried WinUpdate to find drivers and installed them instead of Mfr.'s drivers, and still, no joy. Could this have something to do with the top-secret "motherboard tattoo" HP puts on their mobo's? One tech mentioned a "Code Purple" and that the only way to fix it was to ship it to HP, but then rescinded and said they couldn't fix it anymore, either.

Okay, error details:

Msg immediately upon reboot, after installing new Encore Sound card:
ENmixCPL Application has encountered a problem and needs to close.

Uninstalled Mfr drivers, ran WinUpdate, installed Windows drivers. No immediate error msg, until opening WMP, attempted to play mp3 file with new sound card + WINDOWS drivers:
"WMP Cannot play file, problem w/sound device, not installed, in use or not functioning properly."

Anybody have ANY ideas? I'll buy drinks all 'round if I can get this one fixed!
TIA,
Ben

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 26 July 2008 - 03:46 PM

The reviews on that card weren't all that favorable. I would have gone with a Turtle Beach or Sound Blaster. $12.00 is kind of cheap.
You might try downloading the driver from their website
http://www.encore-usa.com/product
I also noticed that you have to have DirectX ver. 8.1 or above installed for it to work

Edited by garmanma, 26 July 2008 - 03:47 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users