Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cleaning My Computer

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Saracen619

Saracen619

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 26 July 2008 - 12:00 PM

I just took the pannel of the side of my computer and there was mounds of dust and i tried to clear most of it. :thumbsup: Will this make a big effect to the performance?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 26 July 2008 - 04:08 PM

Yes, but did you get it all? Especially in the CPU's heatsink
Cleaning the PC interior

Just a note that if you remove the heatsink, you will have to re-apply the thermal compound

Edited by garmanma, 26 July 2008 - 04:13 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Venek

Venek

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2008 - 07:11 PM

The biggest concern with dust build-up in a computer isn't so much performance as it is HEAT. The more dust builds up in there, the more it insulates the heat and interferes with airflow. Of course, when things start running too hot in there, you have the usual suspects of the computer freezing up, abruptly restarting itself or receiving the dreaded BSOD.

You're using cans of compressed air to clean it out, right? Be sure when you use the can for the first time (or after a while) to point it away from the computer up in the air or wherever. There's always a little bit of liquid in the initial use. NEVER blow out dust with your mouth, that's introducing moisture to electronic components, a big no-no.

Garmanma is right about cleaning out the CPU's HSF. I personally use a q-tip, but make sure there's no wildly loose strands of cotton that could fly off. If you take off the HSF, dip a q-tip in at least 91% rubbing alcohol to clean off the old paste. I had no trouble doing this.

Oh yeah, if you DO take off the HSF, let your computer run for a solid 10 minutes before taking it off so it's easy to remove and not sticking.
UberGeeks of the world...UNITE!

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

#4 Dr_Manhattan

Dr_Manhattan

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 AM

Posted 27 July 2008 - 09:34 PM

Using compressed air cans would be good.

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2008 - 10:45 PM

Use compressed air cans...just don't tip the can since the liquid would come out. Or, if you're more hardcore, use an air compressor. :thumbsup:

3939.png

#6 Saracen619

Saracen619
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2008 - 04:19 AM

How can you use it if you cant tilt it your going to have to at one point ?

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2008 - 10:34 AM

You will get a quick blast of air, but then it will quit
I do use a oil-less compressor, but it's regulated down quite a bit.
Depending on your setup, you can leave the heatsink in place and just remove the fan, and use a paint brush to get in between the fins

Edited by garmanma, 28 July 2008 - 10:35 AM.

Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#8 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2008 - 09:08 PM

Some cans of compressed air have attachable nozzles that can bend. That's what I use.

3939.png

#9 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2008 - 02:35 PM

hi,,, try not to use a cylinder air compressor as these build up lots of moisture after use and if not drained correctly then next time you use it it could hose down your pc.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#10 webrat

webrat

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2008 - 03:31 PM

Hey saracen619,

It may not be entirely smart or hi-tech but I use a standard hoover with the extension hose and a little USB hoover for the fiddly bits. It's not blown up yet and I've done it loads of times. I'm sure others will have reasons not to do this but it works for me.

#11 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2008 - 03:56 PM

Hey saracen619,

It may not be entirely smart or hi-tech but I use a standard hoover with the extension hose and a little USB hoover for the fiddly bits. It's not blown up yet and I've done it loads of times. I'm sure others will have reasons not to do this but it works for me.

The problem with that, though I've only read about it, is the build-up of static electricity. Where, if discharge near the CPU, can destroy it
Mark
Posted Image

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,365 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 AM

Posted 31 July 2008 - 10:58 PM

The air moving through the tube of the vacuum isn't the problem, it's the particles striking the inside of the tube which creates the static electricity. Because of that, a vacuum is a great static electricity generator.

If you are very careful not to touch the nozzle of the vacuum to any of the parts of the computer you can use it without problems. I've used one held just outside of the case so that when I blew it out I could contain at least some of the dust flying out.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#13 webrat

webrat

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2008 - 07:13 AM

Hey dc3,

I didn't know that but it may explain why I've not blown my system to bits. My hoovers got a plastic nozzle and the USB version is basically a flexible rubber pipe. I can't see either one giving off much static but I agree it's probably not the smartest choice.

#14 Thelastleap

Thelastleap

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2008 - 08:49 AM

I don't think the heat in your computer is that bad, that you would need compressors i think your computers internal fan will do for cooling. just clean it up a bit.
Posted Image

Bleeping
Computer ROCKS!!!

Helped me get rid of Rogue software Anti-virus and taught me about virtualization I am grateful. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users