Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Securing Home Network (questions!) + Programs

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 theparade

theparade

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 26 July 2008 - 12:55 AM

My dad a few years back created a router so he could get internet reception for his VAIO Laptop (which is still in use) and since then two more computers (my sister's laptop and desktop) and an iTouch have been using our 'network'. The other computers I plan to install the same protection as I have (my sister's computers are Vista's and dad's is an XP) They are probably virus-infected since they have been using an unupdated Norton Anti-Virus.

I'm currently on the original desktop that the router starts from, and I don't know anything about my router's work and anything. I want to know about what I can do to my router, what I can do to secure it even more + other facts. I just know that when people want to connect to it, they have to insert a password. It is a Belkin router that is 802.11g.

I recently decided to protect my computer, and I installed the following security programs on it:

AVG Free 8.0
Spybot Search & Destroy
COMODO Firewall Pro
Ad-Aware Free

What else can I do to protect my own desktop? I've heard of Anti-rookits, what is your view? What else should I install? (Only Free products please)

My desktop is:

Sony VAIO VGC-RB50
Intel Pentium 4 Processor 640 (3.2 GHz)
FSB - 800MHz
512MB of PC-3200 400MHz DDR SDRAM
250GB 7200RPM Serial ATA™ HDD
Running Windows XP

Where can I control my router? Is there anything I can do further secure my network connection? I tried looking around and there is practically nothing. In my Network Connections I see:

1394 Connection
Connected
1394 Net Adapter

and

Local Area Connection
Connected
Intel® PRO/100 VE Network Connection

What are these things? What do they mean? Are any of these connections my router?

My main concern is just securing the network connection so people cannot hack in and do whatever they want to all the computers connected to it. Are their any long guides that you can recommend me to read or anything? I don't know much about networks and routers so I need you guys to fill me in.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 27 July 2008 - 07:52 PM

Hi theparade and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

What else can I do to protect my own desktop? I've heard of Anti-rookits, what is your view?

In addition to what you have already you can also install spywareblaster and IEspyad.
They can all be found here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/405/antivirus-antimalware-and-antispyware-resources/

If you want to have an anti-rookit you can use F-secure blacklight. More information on rookits can be found Here

Is there anything I can do further secure my network connection?

Well one thing that I do to stay protected is put a password on my network connection. That prevents people from using my network.

In my Network Connections I see:

1394 Connection
Connected
1394 Net Adapter

Local Area Connection
Connected
Intel® PRO/100 VE Network Connection

I'm not sure which one your using because I don't know what is your routor like. My routor is wireless so its wireless connection 2 if your not wireless your most likely Local Area Connection or maybe something else.

One thing you can try is enable one of them at a time and see which one works when you go on the Net, whichever one works thats most likely the network connection your using. you might even have more than one.

Regards,
Extremeboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users