Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Superantispyware Shuts Down My Pc?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 deuce23

deuce23

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 26 July 2008 - 12:32 AM

I have been using SuperAntiSpyware for years now and suddenly today out of the blue when I try scanning my PC SuperAntiSpyware totally shuts down my PC after a minute into the scan. It has never done this before and I haven't made any major changes to my PC to cause anything out of the normal to happen. What should I do? Should I just uninstall it and install it again or just uninstall it?
Daily Digest FreebieGossip --- AngryMidgetYo --- Sinfest --- Explosm

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AlchemicEND

AlchemicEND

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 26 July 2008 - 02:07 PM

Your computer might be infected, you might want to try scanning with SUPERAntiSpyware[Or some other program like it.] in safe mode.

#3 Simargl

Simargl

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2008 - 02:26 PM

Maybe conflict between software is reason. Did you install new security software recently?

Edited by Simargl, 26 July 2008 - 02:29 PM.

#4 deuce23

deuce23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2008 - 06:56 PM

No infection anywhere. The only new software would be the whole Service Pack 3 and ZoneAlarm issue but that's fixed. The only thing I could think of is the FFVII Ultima Edition that I just downloaded but that was cleaned when I scanned it but I don't see why it would affect my PC when running SuperAntiSpyware because I didn't install the game and the application didn't contain any malware.

#5 Galadriel

Galadriel

Bleepin Elf

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 26 July 2008 - 08:08 PM

Just a thought, but has the inside of the case been cleaned out lately? Usually an instant shut down is caused by either driver problems, or hardware issues, usually due to heat. If the CPU gets stressed (as it often is during scans) it could cause heat issues. If fans and vents are clogged up, airflow becomes a problem and heat cannot dissipate fast enough.

If hardware is ruled out, try to do other scans... and see if they will complete.
I cemna prestar aen. Han mathon ne nen. Han mathon ne chae. A han noston ne 'wilith. - Galadriel
'The avatar is changed; I can feel it in the water, I can feel it in the earth, I can smell it in the air.'

Phear teh ceiling cat, for he is roofkittehd! - Basement Cat

I'm a Bleeping Folder, are you? - Join BC in the fight against diseases - Click here
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 deuce23

deuce23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2008 - 12:24 AM

My case was cleaned out a couple of months ago and my room is well fan so it's pretty cool. Everything else scans just fine like my ZoneAlarm, AVG, and so on. It's just the Super that shuts down everything. The only other program that I did install recently was Magic Disk, could that cause this issue? And a video codec but that shouldn't be an issue.

#7 Simargl

Simargl

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2008 - 06:58 PM

The best way to find what causing conflict is to temporary turn off real time protection(theirs processes) from all suspiciously active software(especially security software), and then do scan with SUPERAntiSpyware. Another way is scaning in Safe Mode, because most of processes are turn off in Safe Mode.

#8 deuce23

deuce23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2008 - 09:01 PM

I will try Safe Mode and see what happens.

#9 deuce23

deuce23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2008 - 01:00 AM

Okay, running in safe mode worked. I was able to run Super and it fixed its problem so now it runs without shutting down my PC on regular mode. BUT now when I scanned my PC with Spybot Search and Destroy it shuts down my PC. Normally I never scan my PC with Spybot but I decided to today and it messed me up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users