Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disk Defragmenter

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 craneop

craneop

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 25 July 2008 - 10:30 PM

Hello all, I have a problem with defragmenting my C: drive. Windows defragmenter say's, (error defragmenter could not start). It will analyze the D: drive though. I also tried to run windows defrag thru the command line. But I get the message that, the volumn identifier is not valid. Since I couldn't get the windows defrag to work. I d\l Auslogics defragmenter. That doesn't even list my C: drive. I disabled comodo defense, thinking that may be blocking access to the C: drive. That didn't help. Any ideas ? Thanks, joe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 26 July 2008 - 12:14 AM

Try running chkdsk, choose both options.

How to run chkdsk from My Computer

Go to Start and click on My Computer.

Right click on the drive in which you want chkdsk to run. The C: drive is usually contains your operating system.

Click on Properties and click the Tools tab. In the Error-checking box, click the Check Now button.

Set up the Check Disk options by checking one or both check boxes displayed.

To repair errors without scanning the volume for bad sectors, select the Automatically fix file system errors, and then click Start.

To repair errors, locate bad sectors, and recover readable information, select the Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors, and then click Start.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 craneop

craneop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2008 - 06:40 PM

Thanks DC3, I appreciate your reply. I went thru the steps that you stated. But i get the message that I do not have sufficient rights to check this drive! I'm logged in as an administrator! Any thoughts on why that would be happening ? I'm quiet sure there are no virus's on the comp. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Joe

#4 MilesAhead

MilesAhead

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 26 July 2008 - 11:11 PM

If you log out, when you see the screen that lets you click the icon to log in as that user, instead press
Control-Alt-Del twice. It should ask you for the administrator password that you entered when you set up the machine. That should give you full admin rights.

I recommend running check disk with Automatically scan for errors but I wouldn't do the sector check unless you can wait around for a couple of days for it to finish. Most new drives now if they get an error accessing a sector they copy out the data and add the bad sector to the bad sector table. So there's really no point in doing it.

If your drive is that bad it's gonna' die anyway.

The machine should tell you it can't do check disk while Windows is running and ask if it's ok to do it on the next boot. Select afirmatively and reboot.

Pleased post if it ran the disk check and other impertinent information. :thumbsup:

Edited by MilesAhead, 26 July 2008 - 11:13 PM.

"I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

#5 craneop

craneop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2008 - 07:35 PM

MilesAhead, I appreciate your reply. I entered my admin p\w like you said. That didn't do the trick. I'm still not able to run defrag on the C drive, (but I can on the D drive. I also can't run check disc. I get the message that I do not have sufficient rights. I am able to run defrag from safe mode.I've also noticed that my clock is now a 24 hour. I didn't change it from twelve to 24.
I have scanned comp at kaspersky, housecall, and bit defender. All came up negative for infection. I ran a2 squared and malwarebytes both negative. Any ideas? Sorry for the delay in replying. Thanks Joe

#6 craneop

craneop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2008 - 07:53 PM

I was able to schedule disc check while in safe mode. When comp rebooted disc check started and then I got the message Can not determine file system on drive. Disc check then quit. Also the C drive used to be listed as PRESARIO_C: now it lists as .......................C:. Does anybody have any ideas on what the problem may be ? Thanks Joe

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2008 - 08:49 PM

I think your NTFS file system is hosed...you might want to try recovery software of some type.

Louis

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 30 July 2008 - 09:45 PM

How large is the C: drive, and how much free space do you have on it?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 craneop

craneop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2008 - 06:53 PM

Thanks, hamluis,dc3

hamluis, any ideas on a good recovery software?

dc3, used space on C: drive is 8.10 GB. free space is 62.7GB.
total=70.8 GB

I tried to rename the C: drive back to PRESARIO_C: but I get the message that i do not have sufficient rights.
Also now that I scheduled disc check, it continues to start at system boot. Can you tell me what i would have to type into the command prompt to stop disc check.
Would a system recovery be an option here ? I don't really have any data on comp that I have two worry about.Thanks Joe

Edited by craneop, 31 July 2008 - 07:22 PM.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2008 - 07:41 PM

Start/Run...type chkdsk /r in the window, type Y as answer to question in window, hit OK or Enter key.

Reboot...chkdsk /r will run. Once it runs to completion, it should not run at boot unless you tell it to do so again...or your hard drive is in really bad shape.

Louis

#11 craneop

craneop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2008 - 08:28 PM

hamluis, disc check won't run it says it can't determine file system. I'm now getting messages from windows and avg that the file system is corrupt\unreadable. Would a destructive recovery do any good ? Do you think that the hard drive is going bad ? the comp is @ 6 y/o. If you feel that the hard drive is going bad can you point me in the right direction to reinstall windows without the disc. I do have the key though. Thanks joe

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2008 - 02:51 AM

I've had the file system (NTFS) go bad before, it's not unusual, but it doesn't happen every day.

My solution has always been just delete the partition, format using the NTFS long method, and do a clean install. All of this is done with a MS XP CD.

There are several webpages devoted to NTFS problems. Some say that repairs can be made, some have elaborate schemes for overcoming what has happened. I have tried some of them, I settle for the one which I know does the job with the least amount of frustration.

Your hard drive is (probably) not going bad, the file system on the hard drive currently has problems.

I don't know anything about recovery procedures used with OEM boxmaker systems...I don't have any of those. In theory, that should produce the same effect as a clean install of XP, without loss of programs that came installed on the system.

Louis

#13 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 01 August 2008 - 05:47 PM

Some Compaq's come with an OS disk that works just like an XP disk. What does the face of your recovery disk state?

If you're using the recovery partition, then you'll have 2 choices - a non-destructive recovery and a destructive one. I don't think that the non-destructive will fix the NTFS errors, so you'd have to do a destructive recovery (which may format the drive). If it doesn't work that way, then you'll have to format the OS partition (but not the recovery partition) in order to get it working again.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#14 craneop

craneop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2008 - 06:27 PM

hamluis,usasma,
Thanks for the assistance. I did a system recovery. Everything is back to normal now. Thanks Joe

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2008 - 08:13 PM

Nice going, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users