Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win Update Broke My Os

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 25 July 2008 - 09:56 PM

Last Saturday, 19 July, Win Update was installing new updates and prompted me to reboot. I let it reboot and instead of starting back up as usual, it crashed and gave me the following error message:

Stop c000021a [fatal system error} the windows logon process system terminates unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000005 (0x00000000 0x00000000).
The system has been shut down.

I get this error whenever I boot up unless I hit f8 during start up and run in Safe Mode. I have been running in Safe Mode w/ Networking for a week now. I have been searching for a possible remedy since it happened.

Things I have tried:
Tried booting to last stable configuration- no difference
Tried restoring to last system checkpoint- no difference
Looked in Add/Remove programs for updates dated 19 July, found none more recent than 9 July
Looked in Registry H_Hey/local machine/software/microsoft/updates for same, found same
Running Chkdsk on C: from My Computer gave me no errors

I routinely have both Windows Defender and AVG anti virus running, so I doubt my issue could be malware related.

I have sent repeated emails to microsoft support regarding this problem, since they offer free assistance for update related issues. So far their help has been worth nothing. A lot of computer generated responses, and one email from an actual person who apparently knew nothing about my problem. His instructions were to have me disable all non-microsoft services and reboot (as if that would fix the problem). He also wanted me to send him the dump if file if it happened again, but there is no dump file.

I am tired of running in Safe Mode, and the free assistance from microsoft, appears to be worthless so far. I would greatly appreciate any help.

I am running Windows XP Pro SP2 on an AMD Sempron 3000+, 1.8GHZ

Edited by yu gnomi, 25 July 2008 - 09:59 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 25 July 2008 - 10:16 PM

When you write that you tried restoring to last system checkpoint, does this mean that you tried to run a System Restore?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 yu gnomi

yu gnomi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2008 - 10:22 PM

I admit that I am a dummy about System Restore. I've only attempted to use it twice, and it didn't help me either time. My only restore point is over a month old, and I am loath to attempt to restore to it.

From boot menu reached via f8 key I attempted a restore to most recent checkpoint, which I think are restore points that System Restore makes on it's own. The restore seemed to be completed successfully, but did not help me. I simply don't know what the difference is between restoring to a restore point and restoring to a checkpoint.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2008 - 10:28 PM

Try the following instructions.

Start> All Programs> Accessories> System Tools> System restore.

When this opens make sure that "Restore my computer to an earlier time" is chosen, and click on Next>.

The dates appearing in bold are the dates that you can restore to, click on the date that you want and then click Next> to start the System Restore. This may take a long time to complete, and when it is done it will restart your computer. When the computer restarts and you have logged on as the administrator a Restoration Complete page will appear, click on OK to complete the process.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 yu gnomi

yu gnomi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2008 - 10:41 PM

I do not want to pan your suggestion, as I realize you are trying to help. However, as I explained in my prior post my only user-created restore point is over a month old. I have already restored to a checkpoint prior to when problem occurred, to no avail, and I would rather not lose everything I have installed and/or downloaded in last month.

I am hoping that someone could give me some insight as to why this problem is occurring, and hopefully a less drastic remedy.

Edit: Does anyone know of a remedy aside from system restore or re-installing my operating system?

Edited by yu gnomi, 25 July 2008 - 11:17 PM.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2008 - 11:44 PM

The method you used with the F8 resets it to the latest restore point. The method that I suggested will allow you to choose the restore date. I wanted to be clear on this as the alternative is to do a repair installation, you have tried all of the other options, and this will involve the loss of data.

#7 yu gnomi

yu gnomi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2008 - 12:57 AM

Actually I was probably wrong about using f8 to restore, I think it was when I first booted in Safe Mode. A window pops up and gives option to restore, or operate in Safe Mode.

I have numerous reasons for not wanting to try restore option: first is I already tried it. Second is I would lose data, and I recently downloaded and installed some graphics programs that I like very much. I don't know if I kept the installation files. The third is that I am convinced that there is a better way, although my knowledge of debugging windows errors is too slight for me to know what it is.

I am attaching a partial DR. Watson log in hopes that someone can point me in the right direction. It is cut and pasted from Dr. Watson logfile, and chronicles first incident (and maybe more than 1 incident since I zoned out a bit while dragging cursor down and selecting text to copy).

Edit: I have removed DR. Watson file as that issue is now fixed enough for me.

Edited by yu gnomi, 26 July 2008 - 03:22 AM.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2008 - 02:00 AM

System restore will only effect the Window files, it doesn't do anything with the applications that you have added.

#9 yu gnomi

yu gnomi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2008 - 02:09 AM

Well that does change things. I had assumed that it was broader in scope. I will try it again, and see if anything is different.

I hope that it doesn't mess anything up with programs I have installed recently.

#10 yu gnomi

yu gnomi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2008 - 03:20 AM

Thank you DC3! :thumbsup: OS is working again. I guess I shouldn't have written off system restore so quickly, as I admitted I am a dummy about that particular utility.

System Restored twice. First time to several days prior to crash, had no effect. However second time was to earliest restore point available to me (July 1), and it succeeded. My system now boots normally. Restoring broke my browser, and I have re-installed it. Restoring seems to have broken other programs as well, but I'm not yet sure of how many yet.

I am now receiving error code 0x80072efd from Windows Defender, when I try to update definitions. It happens even though I have re-downloaded Defender from Microsoft, and re-installed it in an effort to fix this issue. I think another microsoft program gave me same error message, but I can't remember which one.

I will search on internet for possible remedies for new error, but will appreciate any help people want to give in this thread.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2008 - 04:19 AM

This article should help you understand the error code.

#12 yu gnomi

yu gnomi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2008 - 07:04 AM

Thank you for the link, however by the time I read it I had already come across a site that recommended running:
"ipconfig /flushdns" That seems to have fixed the problem, although it might be too early to tell. I already manually updated Windows Defender, so I will know for sure the next time it actually needs updated definitions.

And so far it seems as if only two programs were really broken during my series of restores, which is not as bad as I thought it might be. I have managed to reinstall both.

Edited by yu gnomi, 26 July 2008 - 07:05 AM.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2008 - 12:02 PM

FWIW: I uninstalled Windows Defender from this system less than 30 minutes ago...for what appears to be a system problem with file corruption influenced by recent updates or changes to my system.

I've run WD from the beginning with no issues, but this is the 3d time in 2 days that I've seen error messages indicating program corruption. Event Viewer reflects this error on the Applications tab:

Application Failure MsMpEng.exe 1.1.1593.0 in kernel32.dll 5.1.2600.5512 at offset 000024db

There are other programs which I can use in its stead.

Louis

#14 yu gnomi

yu gnomi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2008 - 09:54 PM

Hamluis-

I'm not a spokesman for Microsoft or anything, but I always recommend having Windows Defender up and running if possible. I would try downloading it and reinstalling it from Microsoft website. I don't know specifically what was causing your error, but I have found that un-installing and re-installing programs fixes an awful lot of issues.

In my case Ipconfig /flushDNS fixed the problem entirely. My error code indicated a connection issue.

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2008 - 08:49 AM

Suggestion appreciated...but I had already done that twice :thumbsup:.

I haven't seen that error since I uninstalled...and, as I stated, I've been using Windows Defender since the first beta appeared (without problems)...so I'll just run my system without it for a while.

Glad you resolved your situation :flowers:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users