Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Oh Windows...why?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Shmutz

Shmutz

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 25 July 2008 - 05:53 PM

Hi,

As hundreds of thousands of people say, "My computer is running slower". And that is the real truth.

When you buy a computer, it is fast.

Then one year later, it is slow.

And keeps getting slower as the years go on--like an old man deteriorating until his last heartbeat... :trumpet:

Sure, we know, try defragmentation, disk cleanup, registry cleanup, repair sectors, upgrade more RAM, remove unwanted programs, remove unnecessary startup programs, download freeware programs that just further clutter the computer with junk, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera... :thumbsup:

Yet, I look at Macs and they don't slow down (or they don't slow down enough to notice).

So I ask anybody, is there anyway to restore a computer back to its original health and speed (or in other words, turn back time) without completely reformatting the hard drive? And don't give me any of the methods above; sure, they work and some really do make a large improvement--but the computer still does not come back to its original state.

So, with this classic question in mind, what is the solution?

May the Force be with you all, :flowers:
-Shmutz

Edited by Shmutz, 25 July 2008 - 05:54 PM.

"Whatever the mind of man can conceive and believe--it can achieve." -W. Clement Stone

“If you have butterflies in your stomach, go see a doctor."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bicycle bill

bicycle bill

• Banned
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2008 - 06:36 PM

I haven't seen that to be the case. I used one computer for six years and saw no appreciable slowdown. I think if that happens it is the users fault for trying to do something that he or she does not know how to do. That mouse will do anything you let it do good or bad.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 25 July 2008 - 09:02 PM

Assuming that you have a clean machine infection wise, about the only way is to back up your files to an external media and wipe the drive, not reformat, and reinstall the operating system.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2008 - 06:41 AM

The differences between Windows and Macs is, IMO, primarily one of customizability. With Windows you can find nearly any kind of program to do nearly any task that you can imagine. The choices for a Mac are much more limited. Since there's more customizability, there's more opportunities for things to malfunction. Look at the recent lawsuit that Apple launched against a clone manufacturer - can you imagine where we'd be if Windows was the same way?

It requires a great deal of knowledge to be able to delve into the internals of Windows and "refresh" it. The cause of this is the changes made to the computer over the years by different programs. So even a great deal of Windows knowledge won't enable you to fix it all - you'd have to know about the internal workings of all the installed programs to be able to adjust what they've done to your system.

There's generic tweaks and settings that can help things out - but the best thing that I've found for Windows bloat issues is a fresh install. It takes much less time and is more effective than going and hunting things out individually. At work we've spent over 4 hours (2 techs) removing registry traces of one malfunctioning program - I can't imagine how long it would take to scrub the entire registry (and not break it in the meantime).

I love the smell of a fresh install of Windows in the morning! :thumbsup:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users