Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Norton 2006 Slow Load And Startup Times

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Shmutz

Shmutz

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 25 July 2008 - 05:26 PM

Hi,

I've owned Norton 2006 for quite a while and it takes so long to finish loading and for the green check mark to appear saying everything is OK. I can use other programs while Norton loads but it slows them down until Norton finishes. I also have Norton 2008 for my other computer, and it loads 10 times faster.

Is this only because Norton 2006 is an older version and normally takes longer, or is there anything I can do to make it faster or as fast as Norton 2008. Also, is there a way to update Norton 2006 to Norton 2008 without having to buy another copy of 2008?

Thanks for your help! :thumbsup:
"Whatever the mind of man can conceive and believe--it can achieve." -W. Clement Stone

“If you have butterflies in your stomach, go see a doctor."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 25 July 2008 - 10:43 PM

You will have to have a different key in order to update Norton.
Instead of paying for the update, you could try free antivirus and firewall programs.
A list of recommended programs can be found here: Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

There is no one size fits all when it comes to computer security. What works well on one computer may not play nice on another system. On the system with 2006, when did it start to slow load? Was it fast loading in the past? It's possible that for some reason Norton has decided not to play nice with the computer.

The programs in the link above are all excellent ones you can try. If you choose one and you don't like it, it can easily be uninstalled so you can try another one. No money lost or wasted.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 25 July 2008 - 10:49 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users