Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Excel

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 samuel3

samuel3

• Members
  • 2,349 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 25 July 2008 - 04:41 PM

Well i got excel - spreadsheet and i have a list of things and its like 1-100 but its all in a different order like

(Example)

But i want as like

If you use it, can you screenie it and show me.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 26 July 2008 - 11:15 AM

Select the reange which you want sorted, then use the Main toolbar > Data > Sort

There's also a button on the standard toolbar with AZ and a downarrow, you can use that.
If you do not have the button visible, you can bring it back:
Main toolbar > View > Toolbars > Customise, click on Data under Categories, then from the Commands side drag the Sort commands over to the Standard toolbar.

Finally, Help and ask about "sort".

#3 tryn2learn

tryn2learn

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 26 July 2008 - 11:55 AM

True, but make sure you click the uppeer left corner of the sheet to select all data or you'll sort your numbers and the contents (if you have some) will stay where it is.
:thumbsup:

#4 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 26 July 2008 - 04:45 PM

I respectfully disagree.
Selecting the entire worksheet only makes sense if said worksheet contains only one type of data contents.
Therefore the wording "select the range of data to sort" is correct and does not exclude the option of selecting entire sheet when it makes logical sense to do so, and does include multicolumn range selections. So if you have a list of people in col.A, money they owe you in col.B, date due in col.C, of course the range to select must include all the data in those three columns, else sort will mangle the data. Bright spot - UNDO works fine.

tryn2learn, please imagine a worksheet with several data ranges. Perhaps a bunch of little lookup tables for data entry ease in addition to your 'main' data area in a contiguous bunch of cells. Lookup tables are normally referenced by a range of cells, and may even be in hidden columns. Sorting of the entire sheet would totally destroy the design.

#5 tryn2learn

tryn2learn

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 27 July 2008 - 11:23 AM

tos226,
I stand corrected, you are absolutely correct. I read the question as if it were a simple spreadsheet, only one type of data content.

:thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users