Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Setting up RAID with K8N-E Deluxe Mobo

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 thebach

thebach

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 15 April 2005 - 11:57 AM

I just built a new computer with a K8N-E Deluxe Mobo. I currently have 2 SATA drives going, one in SATA 1 the other in SATA 2. The motherboard has 4 more SATA spots for RAID. I have one more SATA drive not installed. Should I set up a RAID array with these 3 drives? If I do, what happens to the data on the drives that are already going? What happens to my C drive? Also, will I see the seperate partitions? I know nothing about setting up RAID. thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 17 April 2005 - 01:12 AM

Well there are two raid types that are the most popular for home computers. Raid 0 and Raid 1. Raid0 will wipe out all your data as you will need to change how the drives data is stored. Raid 1 you will be able to save the data on 1 dfrive.

With raid-0 you store data across all the drives in the array. This is said to increase performance, but there is an inherint security risk, as if one drives dies, the whole array will be broken and you will lose data.

Raid-1 allows you to mirror the data on two drives. That means if one drive dies, the other drive will contain the correct up-to-date data and you will have no downtime. Unfortunately you only get half the amount of space usage as the amount of drives installed. If you have two 160 gb drives in raid-1, you will only have 160 gb of usable space as the other drive is a mirror. This method should be used if you want your data to be secured and safe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users