Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Use Programs Without The Disk?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Shmutz

Shmutz

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 25 July 2008 - 02:33 PM

Hi,

I recently bought a Macbook and have installed Windows XP via Boot Camp, and installed a few games. Yet, as the CD drive is delicate and eats battery power like crazy when running, is there a way to play these games without using the disks every time? I'm not really looking for "crack" (as I think it's illegal) or something like that; instead, I would like a more legal and legitimate virus-free program or method.

Also, in the past on another computer, a desktop, I bought and installed Game Jackal, which was a good program for my purposes. However, I don't use Game Jackal for playing games anymore on that machine. So, if there isn't a good, free, and legal method, is it possible to transfer my Game Jackal license from that computer to the Macbook and then uninstall Game Jackal from the desktop computer? I don't want to spend money paying for a new license or new program (such as Alcohol or something).

In addition, I know you can create disk images on Mac OSX for some games using the built-in disk utility (I did for Sim City 4--a classic). So if you can do it on the Mac OS then how about on a Windows?

Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
"Whatever the mind of man can conceive and believe--it can achieve." -W. Clement Stone

“If you have butterflies in your stomach, go see a doctor."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rf6647

rf6647

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 29 July 2008 - 09:08 PM

I believe this is what works in the XP world daemon-tools.

Later versions of Nero have a similar capability to mount iso images on a virtual CD drive (or DVD).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users