Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Big Problem With Western Digital 80g External Hard Drive!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 gus88

gus88

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 25 July 2008 - 01:03 PM

I purchased a 80G Western Digital external hard drive about three months ago. it was working just fine until my computer had a low disk space problem (could've been that the external drive dropped once too). I fixed the low disk space problem on the comp. but now the external HD isn't being read under "My Computer". i still got the "safely remove hardware" thingy pop up, and under device manager it says USB Mass Storage. However, under Disk Management, it doesn't show at the top but on the bottom as "Disk O" (used to be F), under that it says how much space is left, and under that it says "Online". I have no idea what is wrong with it, wether it be my computer that's messed up, or the external HD. Any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 25 July 2008 - 02:16 PM

I dropped my WD hard drive a few weeks ago, and it died last week. Your best bet would be to try and see if you could get a replacement. Otherwise, your next choice would be to open it up and see if you could recover any data from it (I'm currently in the process of trying that out too).

Make sure you do not keep trying to run the hard drive. It may cause further damage to the hard drive, further reducing your chance of successful dat a recovery.

My website: http://aommaster.com
unite_blue.png
Please do not send me PM's requesting for help. The forums are there for a reason : )
If I am helping you and do not respond to your thread for 48 hours, please send me a PM

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 25 July 2008 - 04:55 PM

Per HELP in Disk Management:

"The Online status occurs when a basic disk is accessible and has no known problems. This is the normal disk status. No user action is required."

As for it not being recognized in My Computer...I'd change the drive letter (in Disk Management) to something like M and ensure that Disk Management sees it as a formatted partition, rather than unformatted unallocated space.

Louis

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 25 July 2008 - 09:37 PM

Are you having any problem with any other USB devices?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 gus88

gus88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 29 July 2008 - 12:17 PM

How do I change the drive letter and format it??? thanks for the replies. i hope it's still able to function.

#6 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 30 July 2008 - 05:30 AM

How do I change the drive letter and format it???

If you're talking about the external:
Format: Open "My Computer", right click the HD, and click "Format"
Drive letter: Click Start > Run > Type "Compmgmt.msc". In the left hand pane, find storage and see if you can find the hard drive there. You should see a button saying "Change drive letter and paths", and you can use that to change the drive letter.

My website: http://aommaster.com
unite_blue.png
Please do not send me PM's requesting for help. The forums are there for a reason : )
If I am helping you and do not respond to your thread for 48 hours, please send me a PM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users