Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Time To Reload The Os?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ianbrodie

ianbrodie

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 25 July 2008 - 12:59 PM

People, can I ask for the benefit of your knowledge and experience, please?

I run XP Professional, and am up to date with all patches, fixes and service packs. I hide behind a router (Netgear), and also protect myself with Avira, Kerio and Comodo (free versions). These, days, I use the system mainly for e-mails and web browsing (using Thunderbird and Firefox). I'm very careful what I download (no pirated music or films for example) and never open e-mails if I don't know the sender. So, I should be clean.

Yet, recently, the system has started to show "twitches". The main one is when I try to "Turn Off and Restart". It doesn't, or at least, I run out of patience and end up switching the power off.

The system (and thus Windows) is about 18 months old - it was shipped just before Vista. My son has suggested that what I need to do is reload Windows and start again (backing up my personal data first, of course).

Should I?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2008 - 01:42 PM

This usually happens when system fails to unload some device driver or shutdown some service when shutting down Windows. System keeps waiting for the service/device driver to unload.

From what you write, you are running 2 firewalls simultaneously and Avira. You can try uninstalling one of the firewalls. I would also test by uninstalling all such antiviruses or services that run in background. You can use System Internals AutoRuns tool, and tinker with different non-Microsoft services/apps.

It may also happen, because you are shutting down before properly terminating network connections. You may try turning off LAN first.

You can also edit the registry to auto-terminate the services/apps that are not responding to system shutdown event. You can set these values:

Set AutoEndTasks at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop to 1. The Value 1 means Windows will terminate automatically apps/services which are taking long time to respond to shutdown event.

Set WaitToKillAppTimeout at HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop to 5000.

Set HungAppTimeout at HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop to 1000.

Set WaitToKillServiceTimeout at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control to 5000.

Ofcourse backup your registry first.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2008 - 01:54 PM

It's not wise to have two AV programs or two firewalls active at one time...it appears to me that you have one or the other (Sunbelt/Kerio & Comodo firewall or Comodo & Avira AV).

I would suggest running chkdsk /r as a basic maintenance procedure.

Chkdsk Explained, Understanding What Chkdsk Does - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314835/EN-US/

How To Run CHKDSK In XP - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;en-us;Q315265

Using Chkdsk to Detect File and Folder Corruption - http://searchwincomputing.techtarget.com/t...1263963,00.html

Louis

#4 ianbrodie

ianbrodie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2008 - 02:31 PM

This usually happens when system fails to unload some device driver or shutdown some service when shutting down Windows. System keeps waiting for the service/device driver to unload.

From what you write, you are running 2 firewalls simultaneously and Avira. You can try uninstalling one of the firewalls. I would also test by uninstalling all such antiviruses or services that run in background. You can use System Internals AutoRuns tool, and tinker with different non-Microsoft services/apps.

It may also happen, because you are shutting down before properly terminating network connections. You may try turning off LAN first.

You can also edit the registry to auto-terminate the services/apps that are not responding to system shutdown event. You can set these values:

Set AutoEndTasks at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop to 1. The Value 1 means Windows will terminate automatically apps/services which are taking long time to respond to shutdown event.

Set WaitToKillAppTimeout at HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop to 5000.

Set HungAppTimeout at HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop to 1000.

Set WaitToKillServiceTimeout at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control to 5000.

Ofcourse backup your registry first.

Sorry, guys, I mislead you. It's not the full Comodo product I'm running - its the "Comodo BOClean" product. Does your advice to uninstall it still hold?
Thanks

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2008 - 04:09 PM

I've not used that product, but it should not have any incompatibilities with existing products providing other areas of focus.

Personally...I only reinstall XP when something goes wrong that I cannot handle (NTFS corruption, etc.). I've never thought of XP in the same manner that I reinstalled Win 95/98...those reinstalls were done because there were not very good tools for diagnosing/repairing anything in 95/98. That's not the case with XP, IMO.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 25 July 2008 - 04:11 PM.

#6 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 27 July 2008 - 07:55 AM

After making sure you're not running two antivirus/firewalls at the same time, you might try uninstalling any old software you no longer use. Run Windows cleanup, including the Other Tools section to get rid of old useless system restore points. Then run checkdisk and finally run defrag. If you've never defragged in 18 months, it's time.

#7 ianbrodie

ianbrodie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2008 - 03:11 PM

After making sure you're not running two antivirus/firewalls at the same time, you might try uninstalling any old software you no longer use. Run Windows cleanup, including the Other Tools section to get rid of old useless system restore points. Then run checkdisk and finally run defrag. If you've never defragged in 18 months, it's time.

Mommabear, thanks for the advice. I normally do most of that as a matter of routine, every two or three weeks, but the "Other Tools" suggestion was valuable.

Louis, I ran Chkdsk as you suggested, set to repair any faults it found, if it could. It finished without saying a word, so I don't know if it did actually find and fix any problems. However, it seems to have worked, as it will now "Turn Off and Restart" in seconds.

So, thanks for the help, guys.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2008 - 12:59 PM

Happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users