Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question about new computer and SATA drives

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 thebach

thebach

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 15 April 2005 - 11:40 AM

I just built a new computer with an Asus K8N-E Deluxe motherboard, and a Athlon 64 3000 processor overclocked to a 3400. Everything is rock stable. I'm using PC 2100 ram, I guess I should upgrade that shouldn't I? But here is my problem: My last build was with a A7N8X Deluxe and a Barton 2800 over clocked to a 3200. I notice the speed increase with the new build when launching applications. I have 2 160 gig Maxtor SATA drives going. No RAID going, just the 2 drives, one in SATA 1 the other in SATA 2. My spot 1 drive is partitioned into 2 pieces, a smaller 50 gig partition for my system and most used software, the rest is storage. The other drive is one big partition for storage. So here's my problem: I notice now when I run Norton Ghost, and I am backing up my C drive (about 9 gig) to my second spot 2 SATA drive the process takes about 40 minutes. With my last build with IDE drives it took about 10 minutes for the same size backup. Why is it taking 4 times longer? I can copy a 4.3 gig DVD file from one SATA drive to the other in about 2 minutes. Don't know if that is good or not. Why is it taking Norton Ghost so long to do this backup? I thought SATA was faster not slower. Like I said I notice speed increase in launching apps or opening files, but Ghost is running slow. Any Ideas? Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,717 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2005 - 01:07 AM

It should be at least the same or a tad faster. What version of ghost are you using?

#3 thebach

thebach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2005 - 10:52 AM

I believe Ghost 2003

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,717 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2005 - 11:19 AM

Go into help and about of the program. We need it to be above version number 7.5

#5 thebach

thebach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2005 - 05:31 PM

it says it's version 2003.775

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,717 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2005 - 11:10 PM

Try this. Start ghost with the command switch -FNI, or set it in the gui and see if that makes it better. Please let me know how it works out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users