Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot/recovery Failure

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 AlanaG

AlanaG

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 25 July 2008 - 11:19 AM

I recently purchased a used Emachines T6520 , OS: XP Media center Edition 2005. It's hard drive is a Western Digital, Model # WD2000BB-22GUC. It had to be shipped and there was absolutely no damage to the box.
When I turned it on, I got this screen with two options, a. "Boot Menu" and b. "Bios Settings".
I chose "Boot Menu" and then selected the hard drive. It said it started the recovery process but it hung there and never finished.
What could be the cause?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 25 July 2008 - 02:10 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

The boot menu...is simply a listing of user preferences for what device the system should try to boot from. Normally, the boot menu has 3/4 options, with routine choices being floppy disk, CD/DVD, hard drive.

The boot menu appears as part of the BIOS settings :flowers:.

If you booted the system and it immediately went to the BIOS...I'd have to say that you need to check and see if the hard drive is properly detected (first) and then if the hard drive is one of the boot options (second).

When the system is booted, it will cycle through the listed boot options (in the order in which they are listed) until it finds a suitable device. If it finds no such device, it will not boot.

Something went wrong with your start...I suggest going into the BIOS and examining the basic settings I mentioned.

How to get into your computer's BIOS - http://www.cyberwalker.net/faqs/reinstall-...enter-BIOS.html

Howstuffworks How BIOS Works - http://computer.howstuffworks.com/bios.htm/printable

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users