Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help With Processor Speed

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 swalker25

swalker25

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 25 July 2008 - 10:33 AM

I just installed a new system and I'm having trouble getting the processor to run at the optimal speed. Here's my set up:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Processor
Biostar P4M900-M7 SE Motherboard
2 Crucial 1024MB PC5400 DDR2

The processor is only running at 900 mhz. I checked the FSB in the BIOS, and it says it's only running at 100mhz. I assume this is the problem, but there was no option to change it in the BIOS.

Is the FSB my problem? And if it is, what is a free software program I could use to change it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 swalker25

swalker25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 25 July 2008 - 12:22 PM

Ok, I was able to figure it out. The problem was the cheap motherboard, :thumbsup:. It is a work computer and they told me I had to go the cheap route, so it wasn't my fault.

There was a setting in the BIOS called CPU clock, this apparently is the FSB setting. It was set to the default, 266 Mhz, which is the correct setting. But right above that option, there was an area where it showed the current FSB setting, which was set to 100 Mhz. So even though the FSB was set to 266 Mhz, the motherboard was only reading it at 100 Mhz. Again, cheap motherboard. As soon as I changed the CPU setting, the motherboard picked up the new setting and it now reads the FSB correctly.

So I'm good to go, no need for any help.

#3 Dr_Manhattan

Dr_Manhattan

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 27 July 2008 - 07:14 PM

Glad it worked out for you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users