Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Asharpjr

Asharpjr

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 25 July 2008 - 10:24 AM

Hi, I am looking to get a new External Hard Drive to back up all my music, pictures and files...Preferbly a 1TB Hard Drive. I currently have a 200 GB HD that is 96% full. I was looking a some Segate and Western Digitals, but I have seen some reviews that they only last a year or so and then you loose all your data. Does anyone have any ideas of anything out there that will work? I don't really want an internal one, as I want to be able to upgrade in the future and am not sure if a Sata II and Sata I use the same connections or not. In other words, I currently use Sata I now and I don't know if Sata II will go on my MB now or not. I currently have 3 HD's installed in my machine. 180 gb that has my current doc's and OS on there now, a 200 gb that is just about full, and another 80 gb tha is about 1/2 way full.. I also would have to install another fan or something with that many HD's if I was to add a fourth...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,562 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2008 - 04:47 PM

SATA II drives...are backwards compatible with SATA I controllers.

I think you have some misconception about what an external drive is. It's nothing but either a SATA or PATA hard drive...in a box/enclosure with a a USB connection. If anything, it is less upgradeable in terms of the future...depending on the enclosure used.

You can take any hard drive, at any time...and make it an external by merely acquiring the appropriate enclosure and relocating the drive you intend to use.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Ca...Drive-Enclosure

My suggestion would be to just get an internal hard drive, the fastest that your system supports. Honestly, I see no advantage to using an external hard drive as long as I have the capacity to attach internal drives to my system. I can see the advantages for users in the business world.

Since you seem to be concerned about how long drives last...it might interest you to check the warranties on the internal vs external drives. I'm pretty sure that you'll find that internal drive warranties are considerably longer.

Louis

#3 Asharpjr

Asharpjr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2008 - 02:46 AM

Excellent! I will look into that...Thank you!!!

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,562 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2008 - 01:01 PM

Easily done :thumbsup:, happy computing.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users