Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Starts In Safe Mode Only

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 troubled000

troubled000

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 25 July 2008 - 10:08 AM

Hi there,

Windows XP keeps hanging on the load up page when i choose to start it normally, without any error messages given.

I tried all the other option on the F8 screen, it only loads successfully on safe mode with networking and safe mode with command prompt.

I also tried system restore, but it didnt do any good.

Your help would be highly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 25 July 2008 - 10:31 AM

Hi troubled000, and welcome to BleepingComputers.

Try running chksdk.

How to run chkdsk from My Computer

Go to Start and click on My Computer.

Right click on the drive in which you want chkdsk to run. The C: drive is usually contains your operating system.

Click on Properties and click the Tools tab. In the Error-checking box, click the Check Now button.

Set up the Check Disk options by checking one or both check boxes displayed.

To repair errors without scanning the volume for bad sectors, select the Automatically fix file system errors, and then click Start. In this case, this is the option that you will want.

To repair errors, locate bad sectors, and recover readable information, select the Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors, and then click Start.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 troubled000

troubled000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2008 - 11:29 AM

Hi troubled000, and welcome to BleepingComputers.

Try running chksdk.

How to run chkdsk from My Computer

Go to Start and click on My Computer.

Right click on the drive in which you want chkdsk to run. The C: drive is usually contains your operating system.

Click on Properties and click the Tools tab. In the Error-checking box, click the Check Now button.

Set up the Check Disk options by checking one or both check boxes displayed.

To repair errors without scanning the volume for bad sectors, select the Automatically fix file system errors, and then click Start. In this case, this is the option that you will want.

To repair errors, locate bad sectors, and recover readable information, select the Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors, and then click Start.

I have tried to run the scan with the "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors" option checked. Completed successfully.

When trying to run it with the "Automatically fix file system errors", I got a message saying that there are system files the scan cant access, and prompted me for accepting the scan to be scheduled for the next start up, clicked yes and restarted.

After restarting the pc, safe mode doesnt work anymore, and the screen hangs after loading a list of drivers.

PS : I managed to find a different PC to be online and get this sorted out hopefully.

Thanks for your help

Edited by troubled000, 25 July 2008 - 11:37 AM.

#4 troubled000

troubled000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2008 - 04:48 AM

Update :

I have managed to get the safe mode working again by pressing esc on the driver loading page.

The CHKDSK scan deosnt work, even after restarting the PC, and accepting it to be scheduled.

Please advice me on the next thing to be done?

#5 troubled000

troubled000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2008 - 08:37 AM

update :

I downloaded recovery console, ran chkdsk /r and fixboot there, and both were completed successfully. chkdsk /r reported errors and said it got them fixed. It took over an hour though.

I also ran hdd diagnosis, told me hdd is OK.

Booting Problem still there.

Edited by troubled000, 26 July 2008 - 08:42 AM.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 26 July 2008 - 09:15 AM

I would suggest trying to boot into normal mode and letting it sit for a while (10 minutes or so). Then reboot into Safe Mode and check your Event Viewer for errors in the System and Application log files . Specifically, look for that 10 minute period of time where it tried to boot into normal mode - that may give the best clue as to what's causing the problem.

To get at Event Viewer, go to Start → Run → and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

When booting to Safe Mode, try booting to Safe Mode with Networking and see if you can connect to the internet. If you can, try updating/reinstalling your video drivers by downloading the latest drivers available from the manufacturer of your video chipset (ATI, nVidia, Intel, etc -- NOT the make of your PC). This will often fix the problem that you describe - and it won't hurt anything by trying it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 troubled000

troubled000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2008 - 12:03 PM

These are the snapshots I took earlier from event viewer, I hope these are sufficient for diagnosis. They were taken after periods of normal startup attempts

Application's tab:

Posted Image

error content :

Posted Image

System's tab :

Posted Image

error content 1 :

Posted Image

error content 2 :

Posted Image

error content 3 :

Posted Image

Edited by troubled000, 26 July 2008 - 12:05 PM.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2008 - 12:13 PM

On the first one, what's the details of the Winlogon information message? Are you up to date on Windows Updates? What level Service Pack do you have on the system?

On the second one, it's normal to have some errors when booting into Safe Mode - as drivers try to start, but can't because of some of the restrictions of Safe Mode.

The APCIEC error concerns me, but most posts that I found refer to an issue with Windows XP and ACPI functions. This post suggests disabling it through a registry edit ( http://winhlp.com/node/43 . I'M NOT RECOMMENDING THIS - but as I don't know enough about the error I'm leaving this up to you. Should you decide to try it, I'd advise backing up your registry just in case your system won't boot (a very real possibility when dealing with power control functions such as ACPI).

If it were my system, I'd wait to see if I could learn more about the problem before trying the ACPI stuff. With the number of ACPIEC errors that you have, I'd start wondering about a hardware or BIOS issue.

Edited by usasma, 26 July 2008 - 12:15 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 troubled000

troubled000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2008 - 12:27 PM

Thanks for your help, really appreciated.

I dont know whether there are other possible solutions other than altering registry ?

And how would I learn more about the cuase of the probelm ?

Is it necissarily ACPI from the error details I have provided ?

Are there any further diagnostic schemes to be applied for further investigation ?

If you could please guide me on this.

EDIT: the first set of ACPIEC errors dates back to 2 weeks ago when the PC was still booting up properly

This is the requested winlogon event details :

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Winlogon
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1001
Date: 26/07/2008
Time: 9:24:19 PM
User: N/A
Computer: PC109392245318
Description:
Checking file system on \DosDevices\C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Cleaning up 2 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 2 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 2 unused security descriptors.
CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
Usn Journal verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)...
File data verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)...
Free space verification is complete.
CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the volume bitmap.
Windows has made corrections to the file system.

111097475 KB total disk space.
66011720 KB in 157939 files.
103552 KB in 18095 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
335351 KB in use by the system.
4096 KB occupied by the log file.
44646852 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
27774368 total allocation units on disk.
11161713 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
10 5d 03 00 ad af 02 00 95 ff 03 00 00 00 00 00 .]..............
d1 9a 02 00 02 00 00 00 75 03 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........u.......
e0 7e 99 07 00 00 00 00 5e 83 1f a3 01 00 00 00 .~......^.......
28 b4 6d 10 00 00 00 00 c2 9d 01 36 09 00 00 00 (.m........6....
12 ca 1e c5 03 00 00 00 5c 79 e7 c0 0e 00 00 00 ........\y......
99 9e 36 00 00 00 00 00 b0 39 07 00 f3 68 02 00 ..6......9...h..
00 00 00 00 00 20 09 bd 0f 00 00 00 af 46 00 00 ..... .......F..

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Edited by troubled000, 26 July 2008 - 12:33 PM.

#10 troubled000

troubled000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2008 - 12:40 PM

I recently had an overheating problem which caused the cable that feeds the monitor with electricity to short out. This has been resolved by replacing the fan and fixing the cable.

Could that be related in anyway to the boot failure, although this happened before the shorting-out issue, and remained after it has been sorted out?

#11 troubled000

troubled000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2008 - 12:51 PM

On the first one, what's the details of the Winlogon information message? Are you up to date on Windows Updates? What level Service Pack do you have on the system?

Its service pack 2, and I think I am up to date on windows updates since it used to run automatically once it detects any available. But how can I be sure am up to date?

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,290 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2008 - 03:44 PM

<<But how can I be sure am up to date?>>

You are not up to date...at least 100 updates behind, in fact.

How do I know? SP3 has been out for some time now...and it rolls up about 100 critical updates into one package.

A user can tell that the system is current...by going to the WinUpdate site and checking for critical updates. If there are none, the system is current.

The easiest way of becoming current...would be to install (first) SP3 and then install any/all critical updates which are available at the WinUpdate site.

Louis

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2008 - 06:44 PM

The winlogon event shows that there were some errors with the file system on your hard drive when it ran chkdsk /r
So, that's a possibility of the source of the error.

I'd suggest testing your hard drive with a bootable diagnostic utility that you can get (for free) from the manufacturer of your hard drive.
I'd try the Recovery Console next ( http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-install-the-windows-xp-recovery-console/ ) and would run:
chkdsk /r
fixmbr
fixboot

And maybe bootcfg /rebuild - but I'd want to see a copy of your boot.ini file first. It's a hidden file in the root of your C: drive ( C:\boot.ini)

If none of that points to an error, then we'll have to start checking your registry and some of your drivers.

Edited by usasma, 26 July 2008 - 06:45 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users