Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

End Of The World 2012

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#1 samuel3

samuel3

• Members
  • 2,349 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 25 July 2008 - 09:34 AM

True or False?

Discuss.

Edit: Moved topic from General Chat to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 25 July 2008 - 03:41 PM

I'm going with "false".

Mainly because, if it is true, no one will be around to remember that I got it wrong!

:thumbsup:

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#3 thelittleduck

thelittleduck

• Members
  • 902 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 25 July 2008 - 03:56 PM

I'm going with "false".

Mainly because, if it is true, no one will be around to remember that I got it wrong!

You are forgetting the martians who will laugh at your foolishness throughout time. :thumbsup:

Edited by KingOfIdiocy, 25 July 2008 - 04:13 PM.

#4 JohnWho

JohnWho

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2008 - 04:10 PM

Well, maybe not the Martians,

but certainly the Aliens who have visited Earth already.

Posted Image

#5 thelittleduck

thelittleduck

• Members
  • 902 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2008 - 04:16 PM

Well, Dr Mitchell must be right. Don't forget David Hasselhoff, who must have alien powers to make people think he can sing. :thumbsup:

#6 Shmutz

Shmutz

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2008 - 04:47 PM

I did some research on this 2012 apocalypse a while back, so here's what I know. And I've never heard of this "Planet X" Nibiru thing.

The Mayans did not predict a 2012 apocalypse--they only said that December 21st 2012 was the end of a calendar cycle. Who said that a new cycle can't begin? (Without catastrophic events?)

But then we've got to ask ourselves "what's a cycle?" Every 26,000 or so years an astronomical event takes place: the Sun will align perfectly with the center of the Milky Way Galaxy. The center contains a super-massive black hole. We don't really know what this new concentration of energy will cause; perhaps 12/21/12 will be like every other day. And there's nothing about some giant planet.

Going back to the prophets, Nostradamus did predict things that came close to being true, such as Germany rising to power in WWII and the Holocaust. But he also predicted things that did not happen, such as the 1999 apocalypse. And, for those of you on Mars, the world did not end in the year 1999.

This pole shift is iffy; I believe that it did happen and it is possible, but I'm not sure whether we're approaching that mark or whether it will yield catastrophic events when it does happen.

A nicer and more uplifting belief is that 2012 will result in a big spiritual and emotional change among the Earth. I don't know much about this sector but it's certainly not an apocalypse.

In addition, this 'Planet X' thing seems like the media wanting to scare people (which they love doing, as it means $$$$). First of all, if NASA and the U.S. government are keeping this whole thing a secret (which is stupid, as they will die anyway if this apocalypse actually happens), then how come many people know about it? The government's not doing such a good job then. They could keep the Manhattan Project a secret (to some expense if you rule out spies), so why can't they keep this a secret? Because it doesn't exist!!

And let's also take a look at the physics of the situation. Such a celestial object of that size and mass would have totally wiped out and jumbled the Solar System, thus destroying all life before when it "went around in that cycle." An object as big as Jupiter would mess up the gravitational forces of the Sun and the planets, thus messing everything up. I'm also surprised at why 2/3 of the Earth's population will survive; why not kill everybody? Such an object would definitely obliterate the Earth.

Lastly, "Planet X" cannot be a planet unless it follows a specific orbit around an even larger celestial body (like our sun). But this cannot be true, as its orbit (based on the picture in the YouTube video, which had annoying music) seems disconnected from the Sun. This means that some other solar system must intersect with ours. But NASA, with its sophisticated high-tech equipment, would surely have detected some extra solar system and not just focused solely on one large "planet".

SO, in conclusion, this "Planet X" is bull, but 2012 will bring a change. It may be small or large, but an apocalypse ain't likely, by my optimistic standards.

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but I'm basing mine on science and the media's prior history of corruption and greed...

Edited by Shmutz, 25 July 2008 - 04:50 PM.

"Whatever the mind of man can conceive and believe--it can achieve." -W. Clement Stone

“If you have butterflies in your stomach, go see a doctor."

#7 samuel3

samuel3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,349 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2008 - 06:07 PM

What is this pole shift?

#8 Shmutz

Shmutz

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2008 - 06:41 PM

What is this pole shift?

Supposedly the electormagnetic field around the Earth will shift; it's already starting to happen. Eventually, the North Pole will become the South Pole and vice versa. This could potentially switch the oceans with landmasses; so North America will be the North American Ocean, and the Atlantic Ocean will be Atlantic Continent. This is supposedly how Atlantis went...

I don't really know as to what extent the truth stretches...
"Whatever the mind of man can conceive and believe--it can achieve." -W. Clement Stone

“If you have butterflies in your stomach, go see a doctor."

#9 samuel3

samuel3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,349 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2008 - 07:50 PM

Is there a way to prevent this?

#10 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 25 July 2008 - 08:08 PM

I'm going with "false".

I would like to think so :flowers:

Is there a way to prevent this?

In a word, No

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

#11 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2008 - 08:14 PM

Supposedly the electormagnetic field around the Earth will shift

Has Happened before , Will happen again
http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/eart...les_040407.html

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

#12 thelittleduck

thelittleduck

• Members
  • 902 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2008 - 08:14 PM

Can't believe this has ended up in the speak easy. I thought it was posted as a joke. If the north and south pole are going to change places, will leopards be striped and tigers be spotted. Will England be good at cricket?

#13 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2008 - 09:15 PM

I did some research on this 2012 apocalypse a while back, so here's what I know. And I've never heard of this "Planet X" Nibiru thing.

it's been talked about for some time. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planet_X I wouldn't worry about it to much.

Lastly, "Planet X" cannot be a planet unless it follows a specific orbit around an even larger celestial body (like our sun).

there is a number of "Planet X's " so to speak (recently classified as "Plutoids )", out there. So far none of any great size though
http://www.gps.caltech.edu/~mbrown/sedna/

SO, in conclusion, this "Planet X" is bull, but 2012 will bring a change. It may be small or large, but an apocalypse ain't likely, by my optimistic standards.

there still is a possibility for a Planet X , a possible brown dwarf maybe, outside the Oort Cloud, or some other trans-Neptunian object (TNO) yet to be found, just not likely. I tend to worry more about these
http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/neo_letter_030709.html
Apocalypse 2112, yeah, I don't think so either, should be interesting time though :thumbsup:
another thing keeps popping up as well
http://aphroditeastrology.com/2007/05/web-...t-and-2012.html
a somewhat fascinating read , just from the shear complexity of it. It was also mentioned on the History Channels "Decoding the Past - Doomsday 2012: The End of Days "
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1ci1n_do...ay-2012-preview

Posted Image

#14 thelittleduck

thelittleduck

• Members
  • 902 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2008 - 09:44 PM

Look on the bright side, if the world ends no more listening to people banging on about global warming.

#15 JohnWho

JohnWho

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2008 - 08:41 AM

Nah.

Even if the world ended, some people would still find something to complain about.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users