Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Connection Acting Strangely

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Madforit

Madforit

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 25 July 2008 - 07:05 AM

Hi,
I am currently connected to a TP-LINK router which was all working fine until the other day, but now all it will let me do is chat with my buddies on messenger and also download my AV updates.

When i try to go to webpages it just says the page cant be displayed, although i found out by mistake last night that if the website address is a https:// it will go to the sites fine, but if it is anything else it wont do it?

Also when i run ipconfig /all, it says that DHCP is not enabled, i think maybe the router just needs resetting but this is a problerm because it is my friends router and he refuses to reset it becuase he thinks i am trying to get him tto do something dodgy as he doesnt know anyting about computers at all and he is very paranoid about them too, other than a powercut ive got no chance of doing this.

If you need any other information then please let me know, I hope someone can help me get this sorted as it is driving me mad.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 rf6647

rf6647

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 26 July 2008 - 03:13 AM

Given the limitation, for this network connection, tcp/ip properties - is dns enabled? Automatically obtaining IP? However, as long as the static IP or auto IP is on the home network, then move on.

After that, any changes for a security setting? It could be the browser or the firewall. Your discovery that https sites were accessible strongly point in this direction. It is not likely the router has this level of control. Tell us about the firewall and browser.

It is safe to restart the computer as a first step; it is safe to re-boot the router; reset of the router can have the meaning to changed stored settings back to factory defaults, but read the info when selecting the option. That level of reset normally involves depressing a micro switch on the router.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users