Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stop 0x00000024 Error - Cannot Even Use Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Kira234

Kira234

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 24 July 2008 - 07:10 PM

I was doing nothing out of the ordinary and then my computer shut down and kept restarting after flashing the blue screen of death. I cannot access the standard mode or safe mode on my computer because either way ends up restarting the computer before windows loads. I took the computer to Best Buy and they checked the hard drive and there appears to be nothing wrong with the hard drive. I have tried to find someone who posted about the specific problem that I have but everyone else seems to be able to get into safe mode at least. The following is the messege on the blue screen of death:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these stops:

Disable or uninstall any anti-virus, disk defragmentation or backup utilities, check your hard drive configuration, and check for any updated drivers. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical Infomation:

***Stop: 0x00000024 (0x00190203, 0x822B0330, 0xc0000102, 0x00000000)

Could anyone help me at least get into safe mode or to fix the problem completely?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 AM

Posted 24 July 2008 - 07:12 PM

Insert your Windows XP CD into the CD drive, and then restart the computer. Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD drive if you are prompted. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

Type: chkdsk /r

It's important to have a space before the "/".

To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Kira234

Kira234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2008 - 08:12 PM

Any suggestions if the computer didn't come with the Windows XP CD? It was factory installed and I kept all materials in one place. The only possible useful cd I have is Toshiba Recovery and Application/Drivers Media cd but with that it is guarenteed to remove all data from hard drive in order to re-install. (Purchased computer 2 years ago)

Edited by Kira234, 24 July 2008 - 08:16 PM.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2008 - 08:31 PM

Here's a link to a direct download of an ISO file for the XP Recovery Console. You'll need an ISO burner to burn it to a CD in order to make it bootable. http://www.thecomputerparamedic.com/files/rc.iso
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Kira234

Kira234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2008 - 05:19 PM

I downloaded that link and burned it onto a CD and then when it ran its course it gave me another blue screen of death
The message is as follows:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0xF854A0BF, 0xF8996208, 0xF8995F08)

*** pci.sys - Address F854A0BF base at F8543000, Datestamp 3b7d855c

I don't want to mess anything up so I will post what all my options are when I hit F8 for advanced startup mode:

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Enable Boot Logging
Enable VGA Mode
Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)
Directory Services Restore Mode (Windows domain controllers only)
Debugging Mode
Disable automatic restart on system failure

Start Windows Normally
Reboot
Return to OS Choices Menu

I've tried entering Safe Mode and it didn't work, tried going in through Debugging Mode and it did not work, and the only OS choice in my OS Choice Menu is Windows XP Home Edition.

Edited by Kira234, 26 July 2008 - 05:20 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,819 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 26 July 2008 - 06:55 PM

You cannot just burn it onto a CD...you must use a program (e.g., IsoBurner, http://www.ntfs.com/iso-burning.htm) and burn it following instructions.

My apologies if this is what you've done :thumbsup:.

Once it's burned, you need to change your boot options so that the CD/DVD is the first option...insert the CD you've just made (which is now bootable)...and then reboot and let the CD run.

Louis

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2008 - 06:58 PM

Did you manage to boot from the CD and start to get into the Recovery Console? Where did the BSOD occur during this process?

If you're not able to get into the Recovery Console, then the next step (IMO) would be to download and run a bootable hard drive diagnostic utility from the manufacturer of your hard drive. If it fails the hard drive test, you'll need a new hard drive. If it passes it, then you'll probably end up having to do a repair install of Windows.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 Kira234

Kira234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2008 - 07:55 PM

I tried the disc for Recovery Console when I burned the disc normally and tried the other disc I burned with ISO Burner and the result was the same.

The Recovery console never completely loaded with either disc and it goes to the most recently mentioned blue screen of death.

I don't know if this gives and helpful information but when I try running the Directory Serves Restore Mode it gives me the following message:

Microsoft ® Windows ® version 5.1 (Build 2600: Service Pack 2)
1 System Processor [503 MB Memory]
The system is booting in safemode - Directory Services Repair

Then it instantly restarts again.

Edited by Kira234, 26 July 2008 - 08:42 PM.

#9 Kira234

Kira234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2008 - 07:40 PM

no suggestions or help?

If I were to buy a different OS (for example, Vista) and install it, would that retain all the data that was on "My Computer" in XP?
Would it also solve my problem or could the problem attack the Vista OS immediately also?

#10 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2008 - 07:57 PM

What is the make and model number of your computer?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2008 - 07:36 AM

I would download a bootable diagnostic utility from the website of the manufacturer of your hard drive.
This issue is most likely with your hard drive, although it's possible that you could also have some problems with your motherboard.

If the hard drive is dying, any activity on it decreases the likelyhood that you'll be able to recover your data. I'd suggest not doing anything until you run the hard drive diagnostic test.

#12 Kira234

Kira234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2008 - 08:49 PM

I feel rather useless right now since I cannot even find the bootable diagnostic you mentioned.

To answer the previous question, I have a Toshiba Satellite M105-S3041.

Would it be possible to locate the link for me to the bootable diagnostic on the Toshiba site since I have spent 20+ min without any luck.

Also, any knowledge on what Service Pack 3 for XP would do since my computer only has SP2?

#13 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2008 - 09:00 PM

Try the Drive Fitness Test here. This is a Hitachi utility but I've read it works with Toshiba drives.

—George Bernard Shaw

#14 Kira234

Kira234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2008 - 08:06 PM

I ran both the quick test, advanced test, and exerciser with the program and both of those came up with the same result which is as follows:

Operation Completed Successfully

Disposition Code: 0x00

What purpose do these options serve?
Erase boot sector (this utility overwrites customer data to allow repair of bad sectors.)
Erase disk (this utility overwrites customer data to allow repair of bad sectors.

and would this be any use to me?

Edited by Kira234, 07 August 2008 - 10:36 PM.

#15 GalinKinlin

GalinKinlin

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 08 August 2008 - 10:50 AM

Your best option is to ask a friend for a windows disk. I had this error, and that's what I had to do. and I mean it. This exact error. It's a terrible error to have, so I must ask the question:

Do you have a netgear receiver on your computer?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users