Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ie6 Wbem Uninstall

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 badtrash

badtrash

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 24 July 2008 - 06:33 PM

I bought a computer 6 or seven years ago and installed Windows 98SE. It wasn't used much so no wear and tear. Netzero people talked me into Norton Internet Security. The computer eventually crashed. I was not informed that you need about 200 plus megabytes RAM to run it. I worked on getting the computer back up and find the problem every night for two months. I have important bookeeping and pictures on it so I didn't want to erase the harddrive.
Once I got it back up using the Windows 98se disk I originally used I fiinally got it back up and found the problem. Removed Norton with Norton removal tool and also with safe mode deleting from the file search all Norton related programs.

Once it was up and running I realized that the internet explorer was no longer updated and everything was ancient as the updates are not available through Windows update. I did not at the time understand the internet explorer had to be built up by updating and went online and installled a WBEM IE6 I found on the internet. Because I couldn't go online hardly at all with thre old one. Also the floppy stopped working. I am goign to check the connections inside, but I am not concerned right now a bout that. Except If I erase the harddrive completely and redo it I can't boot with floppy. Inever used the floppy disk drive except when trying for two months to get the computer up.

Then, of course I found the Microsoft site with all the old updates and realized I can't remove the WBEM IE6. I installed a Netscape Navigator for the time being and changed internet services. But couldn't get me hooked back up to the little Norton antivirus that will work on the computer with these specs.
AuthenticAMD AMD Athlon™ processor
112 MG RAM
64% system resources free
Drive C: Total: 18.6 GB Free 16.0 GB
IE5 6.0.2800.1106

I like solving computer problems this one has hardly been used especially online as I didn't go online much with that computer.
This is not desparate situation, but a long time problem that I keep working on. It makes me happy
I have a laptop with Windows Vista that my sister gave me for christmas so I am not in dire neeed.

But I want to fix it because I like to work on computers. I have a knack and know a lot, but also know enough to get myself in trouble.

I just want to get the IE6 from WBEM and I can't do that through uninstall. When I try I get the message, "You already have a newer version of WBEM installed on your computer to remove it use the uninstall program for that version.

I tried to reinstall Windows98se several times. The computer works pretty good except Windows Explorer is not working I need to wipe all of everything out and start from scratch. don't know how because of floppy problem. (Problem of not using it but two or three times) It is frozen.

Also, once I get it fixed then I have to find antivirus for the little RAM I have.
I am not using the computer in question right now. So I can't upload anything.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 25 July 2008 - 10:47 AM

Hi ,I'm not the expert on this either,but perhaps til someone else comes along ,you may find some help from our Tutorial

How to Repair Internet Explorer 6 and Outlook Express in Windows
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users