Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vundo.gen Help

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Chcknpie04

Chcknpie04

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 24 July 2008 - 05:43 PM

So, I managed to get this virus (vundo.gen) on my computer, and I need some help getting rid of it.

Here are the steps I have taken thus far:

Scanned with AVG: didn't find the virus

Scanned with Norton: Didn't find the virus

Scanned with Adaware: Didn't find the virus

Scanned with Spybot: Did not find the virus

Scanned and cleaned my computer with CCleaner (don't know if it did any good, but I noticed that there were files in the temp files in the startup folder that were connected to the virus or were spyware/adware. I deleted those)

I've unistalled all Java stuff on my computer and am updating it (I read that the virus can take advantage of old Java backups)

Am in the process of updating windows

I downloaded Vundofix, but it didn't find Vundo (also, I've been told that the program can seriously mess up your computer if you don't follow the directions correctly).

What should I do next?

Help GREATLY appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Shmutz

Shmutz

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 24 July 2008 - 05:58 PM

It's weird that all those antivirus programs did not detect any trace of the virus.

Perhaps you don't have it at all or got rid of it?

From what I gather, Norton should have detected that particular virus. Run a live update and do a full system scan and see if that works.

Otherwise I don't know. I'm pretty sure there's a manual removal guide somewhere...

Also, there are many posts about the vundo virus on this site, so do a search and maybe you'll find an answer

Hope this helps and good luck!

Edited by Shmutz, 24 July 2008 - 06:09 PM.

"Whatever the mind of man can conceive and believe--it can achieve." -W. Clement Stone

“If you have butterflies in your stomach, go see a doctor."

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,288 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 24 July 2008 - 10:54 PM

Are you using two anti-virus programs - Norton and AVG?

What program is alerting you to the infection?
Did the scan provide a specific file name associated with this malware threat and if so, where is it located (full file path) at on your system?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users