Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Need A Program

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 twiztidjuggalo666

twiztidjuggalo666

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 24 July 2008 - 05:10 PM

every so often my internet will just cut out
its not an option i change or loose connections or something
like yesterday my internet just cut off and then today i check and its back and fine

what i would like is a reccomendation for a program that can sit in my system tray and tell me if i have internet connection or not and can help fix any potential problem that might be with why my internet isnt working

any and all help is greatly appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Shmutz

Shmutz

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 24 July 2008 - 05:48 PM

Are you connected to the internet via wireless connection or hardwired? (through ethernet cable?)

Also, what operating system are you running?
"Whatever the mind of man can conceive and believe--it can achieve." -W. Clement Stone

“If you have butterflies in your stomach, go see a doctor."

#3 twiztidjuggalo666

twiztidjuggalo666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2008 - 06:00 PM

i have a hardwired connection
and im running winxp media center edition service pack 2

#4 Shmutz

Shmutz

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2008 - 06:22 PM

Has this been going on since the beginning of when you got the computer, or has it just happened recently?

Also Is this the only computer you have, or have you a small home network of computers that link up to a router and modem?

In addition, a little indication window should pop up below in the system tray that should tell you the reason for the loss of connection. For example, it might say, "cable unplugged." If that is the case, then perhaps the cable is frayed or the pins are bent/misplaced. The ethernet port on the back of your computer or on the back of the modem or router may be defected as well, which explains the erratic internet connection. This problem happened to me once and I ended up having to buy an internal PCI card for the internet to work.

Do you have DSL or Cable, by the way?

Oh, and another question: what browser are you using? In most cases, it could be the browser...
"Whatever the mind of man can conceive and believe--it can achieve." -W. Clement Stone

#5 twiztidjuggalo666

twiztidjuggalo666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2008 - 06:50 PM

it has been going on since i bought the computer ( 3 years) but it usually will only happen maybe twice a year and it only lasts a day so i thought maybe it was just my isp fixing a problem.

i only have one computer but its hooked up to a router and there is only one other connection hooked up to it wich i use for online gaming with a console not a computer

i never get an indication of when my connection breaks

i have shaw high speed dsl i believe

i have mozilla , opera and internet explorer

i use internet for videos in windows media format on websites

i use to use opera for everything but the new version makes nexopia (the site i mainly use internet for)

so now im mostly using mozilla and when it happened i checked all 3 browsers and no internet for each

#6 Shmutz

Shmutz

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2008 - 07:51 PM

Well, the browser's not the problem.

I'm a little unclear on how often this problem happens. If it happens only twice each year then it's probably just a regular hiccup. My router sometimes conks out and then it restarts once and awhile.

Also, did you contact your ISP? They may be able to help; it could just be a problem at their end.

And, does your internet cut out as you're using it, or when you turn on the computer and then launch a browser, only to find that it is not connected. Sometimes the internet connections may not be turned on or may lag at first, and shortly after relaunching a browser you may be connected.

I'm also assuming that the router is connected to a DSL modem via another ethernet cable. And you are using a router for hooking up another console for online gaming (such as an Xbox). Perhaps the console may be interfering with your internet connection. If you lose your connection again, then try bypassing your router by directly connecting the computer to the modem and see if you can get a connection that way.

#7 twiztidjuggalo666

twiztidjuggalo666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2008 - 08:43 PM

yeah i think its just as you described "a hiccup"

well my sister was using the computer and she let me on and she was watching a youtube video and she exited the browser and when i turned it back on it just said the page could not be found or something to that effect

well i have the modem connected to a router and there are two cords coming off of it. the cords go one to my parents room for the computer and one to my room for games and such and at the end of the cord is like a white box where i can plug an ethernet cord in

but the one in my room is currently not in use as i have been using my older consoles lately (snes etc) where i dont need online play.

i think its just a hiccup like you said however i went into my basement and didnt see anything wrong with the modem or router and im not sure why i wasnt getting notifications

#8 Shmutz

Shmutz

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2008 - 08:57 PM

About 30% of the time on my computer, whenever I launch Internet Explorer, the homepage says, "The page cannot be found." Yet I can type in a website in the address bar and it connects normally. I don't mind, as I don't care much for my homepage (which is some MSN thing or Windows Live or something like that).

Notifications only appear if there is a clear and identifiable problem with the modem, router, physical connections, or signal strength. Since the cables are plugged in and the proper network addresses have been set into place (such as PPPoE), there doesn't seem to be a large problem with your internet connection.

As long as you can get a steady connection and it doesn't drop constantly (thus annoying the living-daylights out of you), your fine :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users