Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Automatic Restart Of Laptop

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Red Briggs

Red Briggs

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 24 July 2008 - 02:11 PM

So, I have this laptop.

Toshiba satellite A200-AH6

Processor: Intel® Core™ Duo Processor T2450 2.0GHz
Ram: 1 GB DDR2 / 2 GB
HDD: 160.0 billion bytes
VideoMobile Intel® 945GM Express Chipset 256MB

And it won't shut down! You shut it down using the start menu tab and it restarts. I changed the settings on the shutdown button to actually shut it down, and it restarts. I use the physical button to shut it down and it works fine, but comes back up with the windows did not shut down correctly error when rebooted. Now, the kicker, when it is not plugged into the ac power and is running off of the battery, it is just fine!

What I have done so far is update to the latest updates for windows. I installed the latest drivers from the toshiba website and other vendor sites. Updated the Bios. Changed all sorts of settings in the power options and nothing works.

Any Ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 huw1990

huw1990

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 24 July 2008 - 03:23 PM

i've got a Dell laptop so it might be different on mine, but when i was looking at the BIOS yesterday, there was a part of the BIOS that allowed you to control what the power button did when the power supply was plugged in or not. i know you've said you've updated the BIOS but have you seen this in the BIOS.

another one, maybe a little bit stupid, but when you shut your computer down, are you clicking on the power button option, or choosing 'Shut Down' option for the drop down menu. i say this because for the first day or so of using Vista for the first time, i was clicking the button that has the same symbol as the power button on the laptop, and it was just hibernating, rather than turning off.

hope this helps, but i'm just a newbie lol, so someone who knows what they're talking about might have an answer

#3 hitmangold

hitmangold

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 13 August 2008 - 01:00 AM

Hi Red,
Here is the solution for your issue:

1. Click on Start and then Control Panel.

2. Click on the System and Maintenance link.

Note: If you're viewing the Classic View of Control Panel, you won't see this link. Simply double-click on the System icon and proceed to Step 4.

3. Click on the System link.

4. In the task pane on the left, click the Advanced system settings link.

5. Locate the Startup and Recovery area and click on the Settings button.

6. In the Startup and Recovery window, locate and uncheck the check box next to Automatically restart.

7. Click OK in the Startup and Recovery window.

8. Click OK in the System Properties window.

9. You can now close the System window and check for the issue.

#4 Benoy

Benoy

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 03 October 2008 - 03:09 PM

I have a Toshiba A200 laptop and also facing the same problem. It restarts immediately after shutting down. Even I am not able to wake the laptop from the sleep mode. I tried the solution but still experience the same issue. Please help............

Edited by Benoy, 04 October 2008 - 02:11 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users