Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Just Saying "hello"

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 shootingarts

shootingarts

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 24 July 2008 - 12:18 PM

I found this site chasing help for a handful of trojans and spyware I let get on my computer. I'm a former MasterCNE but haven't really worked on computers since the mid nineties and I left this one barefoot except some ad blocker and firewall protection since it is going offline as soon as a new machine arrives and will be used to control a CNC machine in my woodworking shop.

I started off with Pakes and it seems to have downloaded a few more trojans. To add to the injury I downloaded adwarealert and other grief myself. I also installed(belatedly!) The Kaspersky antivirus software purchased locally.

Between Kaspersky and hacking on the registry after backing it up I got things slowed down to a low roar and then found a thread on this site about clearing up some of my problems. I downloaded the malware software and the quickscan caught a lot. I went on with the full scan and it either found a little more or nothing, I forget.

I downloaded Combofix and was successful installing the Microsoft recovery console. I did read all of the warnings and understood I was running the risk of a nonrecoverable crash but I needed this machine back on a LAN or it was pretty much useless and I took a shot at running Combofix. Yep, I know that I wasn't supposed to. I figured If I killed this machine I had been more than adequately warned and it was on my head. Anyway, Combofix didn't find anything new.

Between deleting old programs and optimizing the system the machine is running better than it has in years and a new one is on order.

That's my story of how I stumbled in here.

Hu

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_The weatherman_*

Guest_The weatherman_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 24 July 2008 - 04:51 PM

Welcome to BC shootingarts

I took a shot at running Combofix. Yep, I know that I wasn't supposed to.

:thumbsup:

#3 shootingarts

shootingarts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2008 - 05:40 PM

Welcome to BC shootingarts

I took a shot at running Combofix. Yep, I know that I wasn't supposed to.

:thumbsup:

Ya know hardheaded folks are gonna run it if they can get to it. I date back to before the first release of regedit. They told us not to run that without a Microsoft tech on the other end of the phone. That didn't last as long as it took to send out the memo!

Fools rush in where wise men dare not go. Sometimes they survive long enough to become wise men, sometimes they don't! Been years since I have hammered on a computer, I have to say it was kinda fun.

Hu

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2008 - 06:13 PM

Consider yourself very fortunate that your computer is fixed.
Welcome to BC!
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 shootingarts

shootingarts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2008 - 06:36 PM

Consider yourself very fortunate that your computer is fixed.
Welcome to BC!
Regards,
John

John,

I do genuinely consider myself fortunate. I figured there was a better than fair chance that it would come out about like my surgeon's work, "beautiful operation, a shame about the patient."

Thanks to both of you for the welcomes!

Hu

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users