Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question About Multiple Anti-spys

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 PapaPixels

PapaPixels

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 24 July 2008 - 11:43 AM

Hi, I have posted a forum earlier this week about the various anti-spyware programs i use. I use spybot S&D with teatimer, spyware guard, spyware blaster, superantispyware, adaware, and soon MBAM. My firewall is comodo and my anti-virus is avast 4.8. Now that i know that there is not any confliction between these programs, I would like to know if they would slow down my computer if they are all running at startup. My computer has recently started to take a very long time to shutdown, and to startup. Since not all of these programs are real time, and some are only on-demand scanners please tell me which ones i should not allow to start at startup. :thumbsup: thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Juha

Juha

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 24 July 2008 - 01:36 PM

In my Opinion, you might be having a little bit more than necessary anti-spywares. I would stick to 2-3... I would keep Super Antispyware, Spyware Blaster and Spybot S&D with Comodo Firewall & Avast Antivirus.

#3 PapaPixels

PapaPixels
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2008 - 01:37 PM

k thx, can i keep MBAM

#4 Juha

Juha

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 24 July 2008 - 01:51 PM

You could keep MBAM, I guess... and replace it with another one or have all four of them (antispywares), but no more!

Edited by Juha, 24 July 2008 - 01:52 PM.

#5 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2008 - 06:03 PM

You probably only need Avast & Comodo at startup. The others aren't necessary since they're on demand scanners. Keep in mind that most security software will make your startup lengthier but that's something we all have to live with.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 24 July 2008 - 10:00 PM

No single product is 100% foolproof and can detect and remove all threats at any given time. The security community is in a constant state of change as new infections appear. Each vendor has its own definition of what constitutes malware and scanning your computer using different criteria will yield different results. The fact that each program has its own definition files means that some malware may be picked up by one that could be missed by another. Thus, a multi-layered defense using several anti-spyware products (including an effective firewall) to supplement your anti-virus combined with common sense and safe surfing habits provides the most complete protection.

However, you can overkill your system with resource heavy security programs that will drain your resources and slow down performance. Sometimes you just have to experiment to get the right combo for your particular system as there is no universal solution that works for everyone.

SpywareBlaster does not run in the background. Instead it only requires installation and then enabling of all protection. After that you only have to check periodically for database updates using the built-in "Check for Updates" feature and then enable all protection again.

SpywareGuard is a limited real-time protection tool that monitors certain events and then acts to notify you that these events are taking place rather than prevent specific threats. SpywareGuard will notify you of any event attempt to change the browser home page - it makes no judgment on whether the change is good or bad but leaves the decision up to you to allow or deny it.

The free version of SAS does not run in real-time mode...a purchased upgrade to the "Professional" version is required before this option can be activated. See SUPERAntiSpyware Free vs Pro Comparison Features. If your using the free version, use it as an on-demand scanner...no need to run at startup.

If you are going to use MBAM, there is probably no need to keep Ad-Aware or Spybot, especially if you are going to use the paid version where offers some real-time protection. If you disable Teatimer that would eliminate its start up and you could continue to use Spybot as an on demand scanner like SAS or MBAB if you are not going to use the paid version. Ad-Aware is not as effective as it use to be so you probably wouldn't find much after running the other scans.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users